Is this root rot in basil?

Reaction score
Country
Egypt
my basil is not doing well , as i think , what can i do? and if this is due to root rot , how to avoid it next time ? also , is there a technique to increase aeration of pot soil and to avoid root rot ?

Attachments

• IMG_20200201_104947.jpg
    IMG_20200201_104947.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 144
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
my basil is not doing well , as i think , what can i do? and if this is due to root rot , how to avoid it next time ? also , is there a technique to increase aeration of pot soil and to avoid root rot ?
Root rot symptoms are browning leaf margins and dark splotches on leaves. There will also be blackening stems. I see none of this. All I see is the dropping of healthy looking leaves which IMO is caused by the container. That container has way too many holes and cannot retain enough moisture. I doubt if the plant is root bound but it does have a sizeable volume of roots and with that many drainage holes needed water is evaporating before the roots can uptake it. Also, your plant is coming to the end of its lifespan. A basil in perfect growing conditions might live a year but most basils lifespan is around 6-8 months. Also you have let your plant flower which is another sign of its lifespan ending. You can either take cuttings from your plant or its seeds for propagation or even simpler buy another plant.
To answer your question. No, you do not have root rot. Root rot is caused by a plants roots staying too wet. To avoid root rot do not water as often

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
It's been my experience that basil plants will only grow for a year or two before they give up. I tend to let them flower after awhile, then collect the seeds and replant.

Ask a Question