Is this normal for an avocado?

DrMike27

Trust me...I’m a doctor.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I always thought avocados had 1 stem (at least as a seedling), but this one I’m growing has about 10. Is this normal?

Attachments

• ABAB3249-DD6E-4A3E-8B06-F13B98FA111A.jpeg
    ABAB3249-DD6E-4A3E-8B06-F13B98FA111A.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 154
  • A677DC7A-7A4E-4D86-8CF0-B797D3AE6421.jpeg
    A677DC7A-7A4E-4D86-8CF0-B797D3AE6421.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 134
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I always thought avocados had 1 stem (at least as a seedling), but this one I’m growing has about 10. Is this normal?
It's not normal nor is it unusual. More than likely all but one will die but you should snip off all the extras ASAP

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Greece
First take out these crazy sticks from the Avocado seed !!! We plant avocado nuts every time direct in the soil. And they are always growing. Avocados must be grafted. Otherwise they need a long time to get flowers. Take this nut and put it in normal Flowerpotsoil. Cut of all stems except the strongest. There in Phoenix you can even plant it in your garden. I think you have no real winter there.

DrMike27

Trust me...I’m a doctor.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You try planting a seed outside in the middle of the summer here and see what happens lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
You might try your local nursery. Some types of avocado should grow in your zone with a little care. Will be more satisfying the waiting the forever long it take from seed to something with avocado.

DrMike27

Trust me...I’m a doctor.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You might try your local nursery. Some types of avocado should grow in your zone with a little care. Will be more satisfying the waiting the forever long it take from seed to something with avocado.
You’re absolutely correct that this would be the best route to take, but I just grow these for fun whenever I buy avocados from the store so it doesn’t matter to me if I were to get a real tree or not. This was the first time I actually got one to sprout and I had never seen the multiple shoots so just wanted to post it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You’re absolutely correct that this would be the best route to take, but I just grow these for fun whenever I buy avocados from the store so it doesn’t matter to me if I were to get a real tree or not. This was the first time I actually got one to sprout and I had never seen the multiple shoots so just wanted to post it.
Probably just as well. About 10 years of protecting the bark from excessive heat before the first fruit would be a tad excessive IMO

Ask a Question