Is this mold?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm prepping my garden after a couple of years of non-use. I pulled up some wood that was sunken in top soil and found these streaks of white. Is this mold or a fungus? Any help appreciated. Thank you.
5DC0F7BB-06DD-4123-BA21-38872DFB4FAF_1_105_c.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mycelium is the vegetative body for fungi that produce mushrooms and, in some cases, species of fungi that never produce a mushroom. When compared to a plant, mycelium is the root system and the mushroom is the flower. When a spore lands on an appropriate substrate under suitable conditions, that spore will germinate. Mycelium is safe and only thrives on decaying matter and won't hurt anything in your garden. I like to think of Mycelium as a beneficial part of Mother Nature doing what she does best.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mycelium is the vegetative body for fungi that produce mushrooms and, in some cases, species of fungi that never produce a mushroom. When compared to a plant, mycelium is the root system and the mushroom is the flower. When a spore lands on an appropriate substrate under suitable conditions, that spore will germinate. Mycelium is safe and only thrives on decaying matter and won't hurt anything in your garden. I like to think of Mycelium as a beneficial part of Mother Nature doing what she does best.
Thank you Oneeye. I appreciate the quick reply and very informative answer. I feel much better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The white mold is literally everywhere in the world as the main decomposer of organic materials. While its not perfect to say this, most white molds are beneficial and oxygen loving. There are some that will get after a plant but usually that plant is in over composted or oddly rich soil and the plant roots get chomped by failure to socially distance.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The white mold is literally everywhere in the world as the main decomposer of organic materials. While its not perfect to say this, most white molds are beneficial and oxygen loving. There are some that will get after a plant but usually that plant is in over composted or oddly rich soil and the plant roots get chomped by failure to socially distance.
Thanks @DirtMechanic. I’m feeling better. Even good about it.

Ask a Question