is this fixable?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
20150519_130704.jpg
20150519_130748.jpg
All my tomatoes and pepper plant leaves are covered in black spots. The stalk is even beginning to be covered.

What is this and how do I fix it?

None of my vegtables are ripening. What could be causing this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm thinking it's a fungal disease of some sort; early blight (google it) is my guess. I am not familiar with your growing zone. Most fungal diseases are definitely treatable. I'd suggest calling a local greenhouse/garden center (NOT a big box store!), or taking a couple of the leaves and stems in and have them suggest something you can use. I have found that many people who work in locally-owned greenhouses are sort of plant nerds and pretty knowledgeable about local soils, growing conditions, diseases, etc.

A combination of hot weather and over-watering, especially watering from above instead of directly on the soil by the roots, promotes many fungal and bacterial diseases. Overcrowding the plants may do the same. Or it could just be bad luck, like something carried by the wind from a neighbor's yard or already in the soil.

For two years in a row two of my very prolific cherry tomatoes in containers had late blight - they still produced lots of fruit but looked horrible and lost most of the leaves, despite spraying them with neem oil and fungicide. I dumped all the soil from those two containers last spring because I figured it was pretty contaminated and last year's tomatoes in those containers were fine.

If you figure out what it is and if you found a cure, do post back!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am Lenin towards black spot. I have rose bushes on the other side of my garden wall. I think I might try the aspirin and water thing and if that doesn't work 7 dust?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
There are no spots on the tomatoes in your photo and from my quick google, black spot affects the fruit as much as the leaves. Sevin, as far as I know, is an insecticide, not a fungicide.

Don't ask me, I'm very far from your growing zone. Contact a local greenhouse. That's your best bet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
View attachment 6366 View attachment 6367 All my tomatoes and pepper plant leaves are covered in black spots. The stalk is even beginning to be covered.

What is this and how do I fix it?

None of my vegtables are ripening. What could be causing this?
I am pretty sure what you have is early blight a fungus. Pesticides like Sevin will have no effect. For a chemical fungicide use Daconil. There is no reliable cure, either chemical or organic. But what you can do is delay the disease until your crop is in. This is the organic fix. First of all snip off all of the affected limbs, suckers and any limbs close to the ground. Immediately spray the cut portions with hydrogen peroxide. Then spray the entire plant with 3 tablespoons of baking soda in a gallon of water or spray the entire plant with a mixture of 3 parts whole milk to 10 parts water. Early blight has nothing to do with the ripening of fruit. The variety, amount of sunshine, temperature and time determine ripening. Do not do any overhead watering, only water at the base of the plant. Keep the leaves as dry as possible. When the first signs of yellowing start again do the same thing. Remove and burn all pruned limbs. By doing this you should have enough time for your plants to produce and ripen

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you. I trimmed all the stalks today. I will need to spray the plants tomorrow.

I water by trench is this ok?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you. I trimmed all the stalks today. I will need to spray the plants tomorrow.

I water by trench is this ok?
No.
That's your problem.
Overwatering.
It's quite difficult to tell on the tomatoes, as so many problems look similar, although the black speckling is a bit of a giveaway, but it's as clear as day on the pepper plants

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Trench watering is fine but as Bees said you are overwatering. A good soaking every 7-10 days is more than sufficient. You cannot over water a plant but you can and will kill a plant by watering too often

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
corncob

Latest Threads