Is this dead?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I tried to winter this carnation my friend gave me and I think I’ve killed it Is it actually dead or just dormant? Here is a picture of it’s blooms in the summer and now.

Attachments

• 33453A3C-21F8-42D8-9B51-9323D0D54FFD.jpeg
    33453A3C-21F8-42D8-9B51-9323D0D54FFD.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 91C0E16A-8CDC-4BBF-9D60-6EDD678B257C.jpeg
    91C0E16A-8CDC-4BBF-9D60-6EDD678B257C.jpeg
    233.5 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
Country
United States
The viability of this Carnation (Dianthus caryophyllus cv.) is possible, but doubtful. It is possible for some carnations to over-winter outdoors as dormant plants in Philadelphia (USDA Zone 7). However being kept inside over Winter can actually be more stressful for the plant. The second photo in the OP might show either a dead or dormant plant.

Still, do observe the plant through Spring to see if there are any signs of life. First confirm that the soil and container drain properly and place it outside in full sun. If any stems of the plant do begin to show green, you may wish to separate them from the clump of dead, decaying tissue and re-pot them as separate plants.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The viability of this Carnation (Dianthus caryophyllus cv.) is possible, but doubtful. It is possible for some carnations to over-winter outdoors as dormant plants in Philadelphia (USDA Zone 7). However being kept inside over Winter can actually be more stressful for the plant. The second photo in the OP might show either a dead or dormant plant.

Still, do observe the plant through Spring to see if there are any signs of life. First confirm that the soil and container drain properly and place it outside in full sun. If any stems of the plant do begin to show green, you may wish to separate them from the clump of dead, decaying tissue and re-pot them as separate plants.
Yay! There is hope! I is about 30 degrees out side right now. Is it still alright to put it outside?

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is best to let a cold-hardy plants go dormant gradually through the Fall and Winter. However, as this plant appears to be dormant or dead anyway, itt should befine to put it outside with a low of the 30º F, according to the National Weather Service.

Ask a Question