Is this considered a weed?

Reaction score
Country
United States
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
My wife thinks this is a weed (it's growing tall with green leaves, with some having yellow around the edges), but I'm not sure. Is it just a purennial that needs cut back or something we should pull. We bought a house with a backyard garden and not sure what should be there and what should not - or how to keep it all trimmed correctly. I included a picture of the plant in question and another so you can see the stuff growing around it. I also included a picture of the yard, looking for some feedback if we need to trim back some of these plants or if this is how it should look. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/feral-plants-redux-whats-this.8041/

Check out my recent thread, above! I'm in Michigan, would be helpful to know where you are? Your photos look exactly like mine, minus the flowers. Which were short-lived, because several days after posting my thread, when I went back to dig those up, the flowers were all gone.

Anyway, I still don't have an ID for the plants in my pics, but I thought they were so pretty I brought a bunch home and transplanted them here. BTW I think a weed is simply something you don't choose to grow. If it's pretty or interesting I welcome it in my yard. :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
The plant in question, is a variegated cultivar of Common Mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris 'Variegata) in the Daisy Family (Asteraceae).

While weedy to some, I have intentionally and gladly grown both the variegated and green forms of Artemisia vulgaris in my garden.
I also find it a welcome addition to the diverse and attractive assemblage of perennials photographed in the OP.

Interestingly, someone once patented an 'improved' selection of Variegated Mugwort, known as Artemisia vulgaris 'Oriental Limelight'
(U.S. Plant Patent #12,788). That seems a bit excessive, but fevered hopes of pride and profit do encourage strange behavior.

Ask a Question