Is this canker?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I Bought this M27 Red Falstaff apple tree in the summer, just come to re-pot it and noticed the trunk looking a bit worse for wear. I’ve done a bit of research and believe it’s canker, am I right?

Thanks

Attachments

• 25B0870F-A58B-4D9D-A94E-5A8B94C39648.jpeg
    25B0870F-A58B-4D9D-A94E-5A8B94C39648.jpeg
    209.9 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It could be canker but it could also be a bad/infected graft union. Whether bacterial or fungal I can't say but I would take it to a local expert for a sure diagnosis.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It could be canker but it could also be a bad/infected graft union. Whether bacterial or fungal I can't say but I would take it to a local expert for a sure diagnosis.
Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the reply.

I’m no where near an expert, but I believe the graft to be further down on the trunk. I’ll see who I can find!

Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the reply.

I’m no where near an expert, but I believe the graft to be further down on the trunk. I’ll see who I can find!

Thanks
I could not tell from the picture just exactly where the graft is. It should be just above soil level but not all growers adhere to this. If you cannot see a graft union below this then either the plant is planted way too deep or it is the graft union.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I could not tell from the picture just exactly where the graft is. It should be just above soil level but not all growers adhere to this. If you cannot see a graft union below this then either the plant is planted way too deep or it is the graft union.
That’s right, the graft is just above soil level, the possible canker area is approximately 2 feet from the soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That’s right, the graft is just above soil level, the possible canker area is approximately 2 feet from the soil.
I would still talk to a local expert/arborist and find out for sure. If it is canker I see no reason to keep the tree and as soon as you can find a definitive answer the better.

Ask a Question