Is this blueberry?

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Hi,
I planted some blueberry seeds in this pot and got this plant. However, it grew so fast i'm not sure if it's in fact blueberry or some native plant from California.
2022-07-24 13.00.58.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
You might be right then. I tried to look at some pics of blueberry seedlings and couldn't really find a good pic but what I saw was similar. It doesn't look like my blueberry plants though.

I imagine there are several varieties. This plant sprouted in the pot where I planted blueberries with white interior (the seeds are tiny). I also planted another variety from blueberries with bigger seeds and red interior, but none of them germinated yet.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I cansee why DirtMechanic said 'It looks like some sort of spinach', it looks softer and more herbacious than a blueberry bush, on the other hand that might just be that it is young. The trouble is not only do so many things have leaves a bit like that, it could even be Basil, but weeds also have this amazing knack of growing next to things they look like. I know it is ridiculous, but sometimes you can imagine them thinking 'I'll be able to sneak in here and flower before anyone realises' :)
I guess the only way you will be sure is to wait and see how it develops. I hope you are lucky.
Whenever I have seen blueberry plants for sale they have always been named varieties, as they like to cross pollinate that suggests propagation is usually directly from another plant, and when I look they suggest cuttings and air layering, but I also found this

" Place your seeds in damp sphagnum peat in a seed tray, and then cover them with a ½ cm of soil. Keep them consistently damp and in a in a warm, sunny area (16 - 20 C). You won't see any sprouting for six to eight weeks (or even up to 3 months in some cases)."

So how long did it take to show?

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
I cansee why DirtMechanic said 'It looks like some sort of spinach', it looks softer and more herbacious than a blueberry bush, on the other hand that might just be that it is young. The trouble is not only do so many things have leaves a bit like that, it could even be Basil, but weeds also have this amazing knack of growing next to things they look like. I know it is ridiculous, but sometimes you can imagine them thinking 'I'll be able to sneak in here and flower before anyone realises' :)
I guess the only way you will be sure is to wait and see how it develops. I hope you are lucky.
Whenever I have seen blueberry plants for sale they have always been named varieties, as they like to cross pollinate that suggests propagation is usually directly from another plant, and when I look they suggest cuttings and air layering, but I also found this

" Place your seeds in damp sphagnum peat in a seed tray, and then cover them with a ½ cm of soil. Keep them consistently damp and in a in a warm, sunny area (16 - 20 C). You won't see any sprouting for six to eight weeks (or even up to 3 months in some cases)."

So how long did it take to show?
Yes, plants, especially young sprouting looks a lot alike and it's hard to know which is which, especially for a neofite like me. I read that blueberry seeds greatly vary in their sprouting time, some may take 3 weeks and some 6 months. It's supposed to be a survival mechanism in case some seeds are eaten first. This plant was the only one to sprout so far in a batch of a dozen. It took about 3 weeks and it's growing fast. We'll see.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was outside and happened to look under one of my trees to see the infamous poke weed growing under it. Looks just like your plant. I knew I've seen that plant before just couldn't get my wheels turning. Poke grows really quick. I'll bet that blueberry you planted was a poke berry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just now took these pics here. Birds love poke berries and usually under every tree there is at least one poke weed growing. Plenty of them in the fields too where they fly and poop. Poke is everywhere around here. People do eat the leaves of smaller plants but I've never eaten any.

Plants that are about 4-5" tall.
1.jpg
2.jpg

Plant that is about 3' tall.
3.jpg

Mature plant that is about 6' tall. See the green and blue (black) berries.
4.jpg

Ask a Question