Is this an aphid?

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I got my plants mostly from a local nursery, same as the one I got from last year. I had a problem last year with aphids, but I don't remember seeing many with wings. Last year I was pretty new to the gardening pests you can encounter so I had it all haha! Slugs, aphids, blossom end rot (tho not a pest.)

My plants are young still and I have noticed since shortly after planting them (maybe within 2-3 days) I found these on my plants. I have been hand picking them off. I do find a few aphids under the leaves (wingless), but these winged bugs are on top of the leaves and on the stems. I am still finding a bit of them even after daily picking them off.

So then I looked up about them thinking maybe they were something else and I couldn't tell for sure as what I found pretty much said that the adults only sometimes grow wings when population is too big. I have been hand picking them so I have been keeping up with them and barely saw any in the beginning. Tho even with hand picking, my population is somehow growing with these winged bugs (not out of control yet but when my plants get huge it will be a mess.)

I have tomatoes, pepper, cucumbers, herbs, garlic, onions, yellow squash, mustard seed, zucchini and spaghetti squash planted. They are all in planters fairly close together on a wood platform. Originally they started out on just the tomato plants and then I started to see them on the cucumber and squash plants too.
I have 3 colors it looks like of these things :( I have no problem with still hand picking them off for now, but want to make sure that these winged guys are actually bad and not trying to help.
20200526_080041.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So I got my plants mostly from a local nursery, same as the one I got from last year. I had a problem last year with aphids, but I don't remember seeing many with wings. Last year I was pretty new to the gardening pests you can encounter so I had it all haha! Slugs, aphids, blossom end rot (tho not a pest.)

My plants are young still and I have noticed since shortly after planting them (maybe within 2-3 days) I found these on my plants. I have been hand picking them off. I do find a few aphids under the leaves (wingless), but these winged bugs are on top of the leaves and on the stems. I am still finding a bit of them even after daily picking them off.

So then I looked up about them thinking maybe they were something else and I couldn't tell for sure as what I found pretty much said that the adults only sometimes grow wings when population is too big. I have been hand picking them so I have been keeping up with them and barely saw any in the beginning. Tho even with hand picking, my population is somehow growing with these winged bugs (not out of control yet but when my plants get huge it will be a mess.)

I have tomatoes, pepper, cucumbers, herbs, garlic, onions, yellow squash, mustard seed, zucchini and spaghetti squash planted. They are all in planters fairly close together on a wood platform. Originally they started out on just the tomato plants and then I started to see them on the cucumber and squash plants too.
I have 3 colors it looks like of these things :( I have no problem with still hand picking them off for now, but want to make sure that these winged guys are actually bad and not trying to help.
View attachment 65674
I see two aphids and what appears to be a lacewing. And it looks as if the lacewing is about to have a meal of aphids.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I see two aphids and what appears to be a lacewing. And it looks as if the lacewing is about to have a meal of aphids.
Thank you :) I will let nature take it's course! But of course keep an eye on it too. We haven't seen many lady bugs in a few years here in town - we used to see then all the time.

Ask a Question