Is this a Type of Elm Tree?

RsTgardenian

Novice gardener and tree admirer
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
There's a small paved path that runs behind our house that has some small trees along it and I'd been wondering for a while whether they were some type of elm? The jagged edging of the leaves and rougher bark makes me think they might be, but I'm not completely sure. I haven't seen any seed pods on them either when I was looking for elm-type ones.

Attachments

• Unidentified_Tree1.jpg
    Unidentified_Tree1.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 135
  • Unidentifiedtree2.jpg
    Unidentifiedtree2.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 92
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are lots of different species of Ulnus, and they all seem to have different bark, however the leaves certainly look like the elm tree to me. Can`t see very easily in the photos - are those leaves opposite or alternate?

RsTgardenian

Novice gardener and tree admirer
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
There are lots of different species of Ulnus, and they all seem to have different bark, however the leaves certainly look like the elm tree to me. Can`t see very easily in the photos - are those leaves opposite or alternate?

Hey Tetters,

I'm not super familiar with leaf terminology, but I think they are alternate leaves. They didn't appear to have leaves in pairs on the twig but I could certainly be incorrect with that. Are most species of elm usually one or the other of the leaf types?

Ask a Question