Is this a Serrano..?

Reaction score
I stated a bunch of varieties a few months ago and was pretty sure this was Serrano but not so sure anymore..

It has 12 to 15 flowers on each shoot and the fruit looks like a berry of some kind. I thought all peppers have one medium flower per shoot like bell peppers do..

Can anyone identify this plant..

Stand about 3 feet with about 300 to 400 small flowers and fruits all around..

Some of the fruits are starting to turn dark brown to black

DSCN11401.jpg

DSCN11391.jpg

Thanks for any help. It's greatly appreciated..

Ron

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure at first glance, where abouts in the world are you?

Reaction score
I'm in New Orleans. I planted Serrano seed it's just that this does look like any of the other pepper plants nor the pics I viewed online.

Reaction score
No that is something else, it looks like it belongs in the night shade family. Where did you buy the seeds? Did you buy them from a independent business or a large seed distributor? They remind me of garden huckleberries except the leaves are a little different. Give them a while and see if the berries change colors.

Reaction score
Thanks for answering. I think you right...

I bought a variety pack of about 15 different plants from an Ebay seller and a few from Home Depot. This was the only one I didn't recognize after a process of elimination because I forgot to label a few pots when I planted them. . I think the seeds the seller sent must have been mislabeled.

They ended up turning black. I opened up one and it had very little taste. A bunch of little seeds inside like a tomato.

Reaction score
Not all solanums are poisonious, although Huckleberries can be toxic if eaten when green, they are not toxic when they are blue.

Reaction score
Wow Rzashida!
Common names can lead to confusion.
In one country they mean one plant, in another country something very different.
In Britain Huckleberries are Vaccinium sp, these are edible when ripe, but they are not related to Solanum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huckleberry

Quote wiki..".In North America the name was applied to a confusing range of different plants all bearing small, and usually blue, berries"

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wow Rzashida!
Common names can lead to confusion.
In one country they mean one plant, in another country something very different.
In Britain Huckleberries are Vaccinium sp, these are edible when ripe, but they are not related to Solanum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huckleberry

Quote wiki..".In North America the name was applied to a confusing range of different plants all bearing small, and usually blue, berries"
That's something I love about this forum. Every now and then I learn something new "vocabulary wise" we need to converse in "botanical latin" when regarding plants. :D Just joking* I am always open to learn.

Reaction score
Sorry to appear pedantic...but Latin names are the only safe way of talking about plants.
Especially in forums where there can be members from all over the world.

Common names can be extremely confusing.
On one forum it causes VERY heated exchanges between 2 expert botanists... one from UK .. one from USA.
It would come to blows if they were in the same room!

Reaction score
OH wow!! A heated exchange between two botanist, I want to watch.. What forum was this!! I am sorry gardeners like dirt. I like learning new common names for plants, I find them to be funny. Did you check out the cute names for plant thread, we all come up with funny names. But honestly I do wish I knew the latin names for plants it would take me to the next level!!!

Ask a Question