Is this a mouse melon?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can anyone tell me what this pretty little guy is? I think they are mouse melons. The funny thing is, is that I grew them last year and they didn't grow because my garden flooded. Well now I have Ivy with these fruits growing all along my fence line on the other side of my garden. I don't know what to think. I don't wanna eat them till I know for sure they are edible. Also I have never grown any type of Ivy in my yard. It just came up out of nowhere. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_20170728_230046.jpg
    IMG_20170728_230046.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 274
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
Welcome @Lovestogarden84 :)

Yes, it's a Melothria scabra. Other names are mouse melon, mouse watermelon, Mexican sour cucumber ...
It is a perennial plant in a warm climate (for me it is an annual one). The plant also forms tubers.
Personally, I do not grow Melothria. But I know the growers who grow.
Of course, the taste is a personal matter. But I have not heard many good reviews about the taste of raw fruits. My friend said that she did not like the fresh melody. She decided to preserve with the usual cucumbers. It was delicious

Here, basically, the Melothria is an ornamental plant. :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well that's great to know. Thank you. I haven't tried to eat them yet so I don't know what they taste like. When I bought them gurney was having a sale and I thought they were cute. I don't usually do that. The Ivy is pretty and has spread all along my fence life. So guess Ill try them and see what they taste like. If they don't taste any good atleast they look good. Lol. Thanks again!

Ask a Question