IMG_20180821_135636290.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Could be, but I am not too sure. Is this one plant please? They can have a spread of 5 feet. I am not 100% sure!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not a Daphne, this is Japanese Mock-orange (Pittosporum tobira) in the Cheesewood Family (Pittosporaceae).
It is native to Japan, Korea, Taiwan, and possibly Vietnam.
Pittosporum is a large genus (226 spp) of evergreen trees and shrubs native to the Old World tropic and warm-temperate regions.

Pittosporum tobira is a shrub or small tree that is not often praised enough. I have a 55 year-old specimen in my garden that is now close to 20 feet tall, still full & green and blooming each Spring with fragrant white to yellow blossoms, followed by orange capsules that split to reveal red seeds. I also grow several specimens of a remarkable dwarf form: Pittosporum tobira 'Wheeler's Dwarf'. Mine are about 35 years-old and up to ten feet across but only two feet high. This form rarely flowers, but it is remarkably tolerant of drought and clay in full sun conditions. Though planted by another for the most utilitarian of reasons, I have come to admire these remarkably enduring shrubs for serving a useful and often overlooked role in my garden landscape.

Last edited:

Ask a Question