Is This A Cucumber Or What?

Reaction score
I live in michigan and have found a very weird plant a while ago and can not find out what it is I have a photo that I found that looks like it but not exactly. It is like a cucumber vine but smother and its fruits are full of fiber as well
IMG_1964.JPG

Now the ones I had looked the same vine wise but had smother fruits that were round.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Not seen the fruit before but the leaves look like Bryony, a Cucurbit that grows over here.

Might be a starting point?

Reaction score
Last edited:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I thought of Datura too Silver Surfer, but the leaves are more Cucurbitae, like you say.

Mod note : Could members please refrain from passing other peoples pictures off as their own, I know its still winter and we're all going stir crazy but photo theft is a breach of copyright. If you use someone elses picture then you must give them credit for it.

Reaction score
Yep it is Echinocystis lobata looks just like it and I never said the pic was mine that was why I was comparing to it not saying it was mine as I could not get a pic my self so I used the closest pic I could find but I could have been more clear that it was not mine though.

Reaction score
No offense meant Silver Surfer - but have to say that I'm somewhat surprised that you felt it necessary to make the comment that you did - especially as I have re- read and re-read dragonloverlords post several times and still can't work out how you understood the picture displayed - to be anything other than one collected from the web.

zigs - Please correct me if I'm wrong - but as far as I understood it - copyright theft is - when someone uses someone elses material or photos for monetary gain or by falsely claiming them to be their own and so long as you were not using someone elses photos or material - for monetary gain or claiming it to be your own - it was quite alright to do so - as you were not infringing on or breaching the copyright laws.

Which brings me to - as we cover a wide range of plants from around the world on this forum and as we aren't all able to grow these plants in our gardens - it is often necessary to collect photos from around the web and as this is something I do quite regularly - obviously never claiming them to be my own - am now not sure what is required - are you meaning - that we must only use our own photos or that if we post photos collected from around the web - we must make a very clear and visible statement somewhere on the post - that says that the photos are not our own but someone elses.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It's a bit of a minefield, and i'm sure we've all done it, more detail here.

http://lifehacker.com/5992419/the-best-ways-to-be-sure-youre-legally-using-online-photos

If unsure whether the picture is in the public domain it's best to put a source underneath it. If someone did persue a copyright claim it would fall back on Becky and Ian as the site owners.

Saying that, in 8 years of the UK forum, we've only had one DMCA Takedown notice, so it's not a huge problem.

Reaction score
I am on several forums and one takes it extremely seriously.
You are only allowed to add your own images when answering a post or asking a question.
It is forbidden to use anyone elses pics.
Pic copied from www are deleted by moderators.
The site was threatened with closure if it did not comply.

So only links to other peoples pics are ever used.
Which is what I always do.
It saves others looking for a good pic.

I understand wiki pics are free to copy.

Anyone who takes a pic, owns that image.
Even if there is no name /logo to say it is theirs.
Otherwise It could be copied on again and again until it might be picked up and used to illustrate books, magazine, adverts, newspapers.... depriving the owner of a fee for the use of said image.

Sorry gates montes if my post seemed abrupt.
My error...I did not read the whole question as thoroughly as I should have!
I just saw the image ... recognised it and quickly posted answer of what I thought it was.

Only after... did I read the question thoroughly and realised my mistake..... dragonloverlord was saying..."Now the ones I had looked the same vine wise but had smother fruits that were round." ..therefore the image was not the same as plant he was asking about.
So I edited/ added to my answer...suggesting Datura that has round seed pods.

Reaction score
I almost forgot but the Datura stramonium silver surfer showed (linked to) looks very pretty would it be safe to grow in a garden setting and not extremely difficult either?

Reaction score
It's a bit of a minefield, and i'm sure we've all done it, more detail here.

http://lifehacker.com/5992419/the-best-ways-to-be-sure-youre-legally-using-online-photos

If unsure whether the picture is in the public domain it's best to put a source underneath it. If someone did persue a copyright claim it would fall back on Becky and Ian as the site owners.

Saying that, in 8 years of the UK forum, we've only had one DMCA Takedown notice, so it's not a huge problem.

Thanks zigs for the link it is very helpful :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The photo is linked from the site of origin rather than copied and uploaded as an attachment so I'm happy :)

Ask a Question