Is these ash or oak? And is this emerald ash borer?

Reaction score
Country
United States
We've noticed 3 trees on our property that are shedding / losing their bark. I've tried looking online at tree identification websites. I think these are either oak or ash? I think oak? the peaks of the bark have more of a plateau? . Ash seem to have more distinct peaks?

Anyway, there's no leaves yet and the branches are up to high to see how they branch off.

Anyone know what these are?

I hear about the emerald ash borer. Is there a treatment for them? or it's just inevitable that they are done?

2021_04_03_14_27_21_b0666645ff34db9d1beb3ed137c13e6fd7980249.jpg

2021_04_03_18_59_54_0b227923633fa32ed96e114d627d3913fed868a8.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
We've noticed 3 trees on our property that are shedding / losing their bark. I've tried looking online at tree identification websites. I think these are either oak or ash? I think oak? the peaks of the bark have more of a plateau? . Ash seem to have more distinct peaks?

Anyway, there's no leaves yet and the branches are up to high to see how they branch off.

Anyone know what these are?

I hear about the emerald ash borer. Is there a treatment for them? or it's just inevitable that they are done?

Hi babaganosh,

If you are still looking for an answer for your question I can tell you that this a White ash tree because of its diamond shaped pattern in the ridges of the bark.

The reason that the bark is peeling off the tree is because the tree is under stress due to a variety of environment stressors and factors that are affecting its growth. Since this is an Ash tree, its likely the main reason it is under stress is due to the tree being under attack from the Emerald Ash Borer (EAB).

If I may ask, is there any dieback in the crown of the tree since this a very common symptom of an Ash tree infected by EAB . What I mean by dieback is that there would be an absence of leaves in the top of the tree crown which may grow to include more of the tree depending on how long its been infected.

I would love to know what going on with the tree and its current status. Unfortunately in the picture I can already see some smaller holes on the tree bark which is a telltale of EAB being present so its highly likely that your trees will need to be removed sooner than later.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question