Is there some special trick for getting celery to grow?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I am my second celery re-grow attempt. The first time around, I started removing the old ribs as they dried up and died off, and then as soon as I planted the remaining center stalks, it immediately wilted and started dying.

I had already started a new one at that time, so this time I didn't touch it. I went back to the online articles and then planted the entire thing in a coffee can. Tuesday, before I left home, I was a little worried because it looked like the new one was starting to wilt.

Today, It's not looking so good, part of it is eve a little brown. First I thought it wasn't getting enough water; now I wonder if it got too much water. I have it sitting outside now and I hope that will help. I don't even eat celery, I just liked the idea of regrowing it from the scrap bottom.

So, has anyone had success with this plant?

Reaction score
I have had no issues with celery. I just plant the roots and an inch of the stem in a container it grows. Are you by any chance over watering your plants? Celery doesn't tolerate over watering. I usually pot it in a container filled with perlite , this easy draining and easy rooting substance aids growth. You haven't said much about how you plant your celery...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I think that may be it, Maddie. I have been so worried that the celery would not get enough water it is possible I have given it too much. Twice in a row now, things have been great until I planted it in soil. I have it outside now and I water the outdoor plants less in the winter. It's so darn warm in the house during winter that even I need extra water!

I just went in and told my aunt it is warm outdoors and she has to turn the heater off! I just went outside with no sleeves! That's how warm it is today. I keep telling her she needs iron or something, but she insists she and my grandfather are cold. Arguing with old people is futile, lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Are you growing the celery from seed? I have never seen celery sold as a seedling?

As stated above, I'm re-growing it from a celery end, or I was, lol. Maybe the third time will be the charm. Right now though, I am focused on my other plants. My onion bottoms are doing well so far and are almost ready to be separated.

Reaction score
I recently posted about my first attempt to re-grow celery. I will have to keep this thread in mind so I am careful about how much watering I do. Hopefully, I get to that point!

Reaction score
I haven't had any luck with my celery stalks, as I've tried it twice, but have had no luck at all. They started to rot and I just assumed that I don't have a green thumb. I might give it another shot, as many people are having luck with it.

Reaction score
I have tried to grow celery from the root in myself and it would work a little bit. I started it in a dish of water, which I think was the problem because the moment you put it into the soil it just usually dies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Wow, @DDavies, @Gardener, and @Whitewolf2578, I'm sorry for not responding/acknowledging - would you believe I am just now seeing your posts? I have given up on celery for now. It would have been fun to see it regrow, but it's not my favorite flavor so it's not high on my list anyway.

Reaction score
Wow, @DDavies, @Gardener, and @Whitewolf2578, I'm sorry for not responding/acknowledging - would you believe I am just now seeing your posts? I have given up on celery for now. It would have been fun to see it regrow, but it's not my favorite flavor so it's not high on my list anyway.

When I was a kid my mom would make celery sticks with peanut butter. She would fill the inner portion of the stalk with peanut butter. Since then I've have always loved celery. Funny thing is that I didn't think about it until just now. I don't know why. Maybe I'll try growing some celery too. I don't have much space though. I was thinking about growing berries, but I think celery might be a healthier choice.
celery.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Maybe I'll try growing some celery too. I don't have much space though. I was thinking about growing berries, but I think celery might be a healthier choice.
View attachment 4011

I have been thinking about celery again recently, but as I said before, I'm not big on the taste. I have never understood how people can eat celery and peanut butter. I think it's great if you start having it as a kid, but the taste is too much for me.

I think berries are a better choice.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?WNPJD 21 May 2014 Planting Celery outdoors
Eight celery plants were purchased and moved to individual pots and placed in the greenhouse. The purpose is to leave them for about two weeks before planting in the outdoor garden. This makes very strong plants with a good root system, and the plants get a good start. These plants get about a foot or more in diameter. I don’t blanch them by hilling, but use them in their normal green state.Some are eaten raw,but most is made into juice with other vegetables.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?QPBLS 1 May 2013 Celery plants moved to outdoor garden
The celery plants were moved to the outdoor garden. They have a good root system.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?AYQMX 16 April 2013 Celery
Four celery plants were purchased and moved to individual pots and placed in the greenhouse. The purpose is to leave them for about two weeks before planting in the outdoor garden. This makes very strong plants with a good root system, and the plants get a good start.

Ask a Question