Is there a way to speed up growth?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
Hi guys,

I'm growing several trees in pots from seeds, most of them are citrus. I'd like to know if you have any tips and tricks to speed up the growth of young plants in pots. I know it's about providing the plant everything it needs in the proper amounts but still want to hear what you have to say on this topic :).

Thank you in advance.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
You maybe able to increase the growth speed by having the perfect environment for your plants at all times, just the right amount of water, temperature and food could help the plants to produce quicker and grow faster.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There is no magic way to speed up growth if the plants are in the correct environment. And even if there was it would make no difference as to when the tree will start to produce fruit. Size is one thing and maturity another. The age of a tree determines its maturity not its size. An immature tree cannot produce fruit no matter how big it is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
Yes, you got good points there. What I'm more interested in is size. I want them to grow fast in terms of size, so I can start working them faster as bonsai trees, don't really care if those trees produce fruit quickly.

Than you guys

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, you got good points there. What I'm more interested in is size. I want them to grow fast in terms of size, so I can start working them faster as bonsai trees, don't really care if those trees produce fruit quickly.

Than you guys
You can over fertilize and speed up the rate of growth but only with organic fertilizers and doing this leads to a weak tree. If you use oil based or chemical based nitrates you will most assuredly damage the root system. Are you trying to bonzai citrus or dwarf them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
I already have dwarf a pair of orange trees in large pots, and so far they're doing well. I'm trying to bonsai them. I know a fully done bonsai will take years anyway, but I'm looking to speed up the early stages of growth. :)

Thanks again !

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
In my experience if you water your citrus plants with water that has sour taste,it will speed up growth. I don't know whether there is any connection between the citrus plant growth and sour water, but I have grown citrus plants faster when I pour curd whey regularly on citrus plant..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
Thanks Vinaya, I think that is worth a try. I'll do it and see :).

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I'd have to agree with Chuck. Gotta overfertilize with organic fertilizers! Will try out Vinaya's technique as well for my plants. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
The only growth booster is, of course, none other than fertilizer. Depending on the plant, you can use guano or bat's waste, chicken manure, cattle manure, humus (decayed leaves) and not to forget compost. But I will bet on chicken manure for fast growth, Just be sure to dry it for one week before applying, best in the evening. Water it generously in the morning and afternoon for a week. That would ensure fast growth.... I think.

Ask a Question