Is the sun getting hotter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Is it just my imagination or was summer 2019 the summer of the burning sun. I have several younger trees in the yard that have scorched leaves for the first time. I could not move my bonsai trees to full sun without leaves being burned. I used to put them in full sun in Florida and not have problems. I noticed that a lot of the farmers in our area have burned corn and tobacco and will have little to no harvest this year. We have had plenty of rain so that’s not the problem. Did anyone else have problems this year?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Enough rain here in Alberta, we always have intense sun during the summer but I noticed some scorched leaves on my pagoda dogwood that I planted in part shade just this spring, not bad scorching but I was a bit surprised. I spend so much time outside, never use sunscreen, and never seem to burn, must be that Cree blood in me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Please don't say that. The Global Warming Crowd will blame us gardeners for it. It's all those polluting roto-tillers they'll say.

Really, I think all it is was that most of the summer most of us were under high atmospheric pressure. I know that where I live we had the third longest run of days 100+F in recorded history and the entire time we were under high pressure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Actually, it is getting hotter (the sun), by some infinitesimally tiny fraction of a percect a year (6% every billion years). So yeah, global warming.

Note: I have no idea why that useless tidbit is bouncing around in my head. No doubt I've forgotten a birthday or two to make room for it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I had a major problem with plants getting burned this year, which was a very hot year, but it's not the heat, it is the sun's rays that was the problem. There's a big difference there, that I don't think most appreciate.

EDIT: BTW, my biggest problem was from a Sparkleberry (Vaccinium arboreum)I planted this year that lost its leaves twice from burning, but after covering the plant during the afternoon, it grew them back, but is not looking very healthy now.

I know it was the sun's rays that did this, but I'm also wondering if this "native" plant might have its origins up in the northern regions of its range, thereby not having the genetics to deal with the more intense rays of Florida's sun.../???

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Enough rain here in Alberta, we always have intense sun during the summer but I noticed some scorched leaves on my pagoda dogwood that I planted in part shade just this spring, not bad scorching but I was a bit surprised. I spend so much time outside, never use sunscreen, and never seem to burn, must be that Cree blood in me.
I watered so much you should call me Noah!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I really do believe that increasing atmospheric CO2 levels are a good thing.

I know, I know...BLASPHEMY!

But, plants start dying at 150ppm. Climate is just too complicated of a phenomenon to think that CO2 is the control knob.

However, if this is your belief that it is the climate control knob, know that in order to reduce it, there is currently no technological solution to that end. The only way is drastic reductions, which I don't believe most people understand just how drastic the reductions would have to be; however, Greta Thunberg hints at them in her plea to the UN.

Ask a Question