Is my viburnum tinus dying?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there! We planted a viburnum tinus shrub in March. Throughout the spring it bloomed and looked quite healthy, until about a month ago, when leaves started drying out and falling off. Is it dead or dying? I'm not sure what I did wrong.
IMG_0282.JPG IMG_0283.JPG IMG_0284.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the reply Chuck. Gah, I was afraid of that. As the leaves kept drying up and falling off, I freaked out and watered it more and more. I'm so clearly inexperienced at this lol.

Should I avoid watering it for now?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply Chuck. Gah, I was afraid of that. As the leaves kept drying up and falling off, I freaked out and watered it more and more. I'm so clearly inexperienced at this lol.

Should I avoid watering it for now?
At least the leaves fell off. If not the bush would be dead. I see you are in the UK where as I understand it, it rains often and you have limited sunshine. I also see that the bush is planted next to your home. Do you have gutters and if so how close to the downspout is the bush. Or does the rain water just cascade of off your roof. Large plants do not need to be watered often at all. A bush like that, if it gets a couple of inches of rain a month doesn't need to be additionally watered at all and if the water from you roof also ends up on your plant, your plant should be moved.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There aren't any gutters around, and it's not a roof that's over it, just walls. I'm pretty sure now this is all just due to my over watering! It never occurred to me that it doesn't need watering besides rain. Thanks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Laurestine (Viburnum tinus) is a classical plant of antiquity, an evergreen shrub of the Mediterranean, native to southern Europe, northern Africa, Anatolia, and the Levant. In Spring billowy corymbs of pink buds opening to fragrant, white flowers, which are followed by blue drupes with a sparkling, metallic sheen.

Viburnum tinus wants full sun, at least half a day, and well-draining soil. Water deeply but infrequently to establish. Once established Laurestine is quite drought-tolerant.

Ask a Question