Is my Heather houseplant dying?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I purchased this Heather plant from a florist. She warned me that its for garden only but I have seen people keep theirs indoors. I don't have a garden. I purchased this plant in August. Now its winter the flowers feel very dry, I water it often every 7 - 10 days. I am not sure what type of heather it is. The PH balance is -1 Alkaline. How do I maintain this plant? Im not sure if its dying only because the colour has been gradually fading and the petals/flowers feel really dry to the touch. I have just given it a good soak in water (soil only) with the hope it will bounce back. But I have no idea if it need repotting, today I checked the soil and its situated with water, I could sneeze it out the soil feels like a sponge. Any help please?

Attachments

• IMG_0535.JPG
    IMG_0535.JPG
    221 KB · Views: 602
  • IMG_0539.JPG
    IMG_0539.JPG
    247.6 KB · Views: 464
  • IMG_0543.JPG
    IMG_0543.JPG
    216.4 KB · Views: 532
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The flowers will hang on and feel very dry even when they're dead so that's not a good indicator. Do the leaves still feel pliable? That would be the best indicator that it is still alive. They seem to be green enough to still be alive. Check that out to determine life. The pH can't be alkaline unless you've done something weird to alter it and 1 would be so acidic that things would start to fall apart -- recheck whatever you're using for a meter.
They prefer very bright light, even direct sun, cool temperatures and to stat moist but not soggy. They are usually planted in a high-peat soil and have a thick root system of very thin roots. So, bright light, clool temps and always moist. Don't feed it until Spring-time and then use Azalea food.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Judging from picture 3 it appears your plant has almost no soil in the root zone. I would break up the bottom 2” of roots and plant in a bigger pot filled with a quality potting soil. Good luck.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you both for your response. I thought the really dry textures was a bit strange because when I first purchased it had more of a fleshing soft feel to the petals, so I am glad you confirmed that for me. I also took a deeper look at the soil, it was saturated with water, the roots looked rotten, so I cut of the dry leave which now sit in a vase (its still retain its colour) and threw away the soil. Sadly this plant has died. :.) But its a good learning curve. I have since starting learning more about healthy root systems. I am going to start repotting all my plants (if possible ) in clear transparent nursery pots, and some terracotta too.

Thank again for your advise xx

Ask a Question