Is my Cocktail tree drowning?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We have had a LOT of rain in the last few weeks and my citrus cocktail tree is not looking so hot. At one point it had several small for on it, I only see one remaining. Dies it look like to much water? Something else going on? It was transplanted about 3 months ago. It may be a little low on sun but gets 6-8hrs of direct sun.
20170605_123518.jpg
20170605_123532.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks chuck! It's raining again today, hopefully it recovers once things dry out a bit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well, I didn't really want to bother this thing. But the wife didn't line where it was at anyway. This morning I have it a wiggle and noticed it seemed loose. Sure enough, it came out...BY HAND! just a gentle tug (seriously, it was very easy) and it came up, looks like the roots hasn't really spread at all since planting it. That can't be right! I also think a lot of the roots look dead. Pics to follow, but I'm going to go ahead and move the tree (it will get more sun...if it ever comes out again). If it is a goner I'm not afraid to try again (I ended up getting this tree free because they didn't ring it up and didn't want to hassle with it when I mentioned it later). But what went wrong here? Is the tree salvageable? Or should I cut my loss now?

20170613_070010.jpg
20170613_065654.jpg

And this is the hole it came from, still nice and clean sides.
20170613_070114.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Chuck , any thoughts on these roots? I did see one or two good white roots, the rest are brownish yellow and fairly brittle.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Chuck , any thoughts on these roots? I did see one or two good white roots, the rest are brownish yellow and fairly brittle.
If roots are brittle and break easily that is not good. I (THINK) without being there, that it has rained so much for so long that it is root rot and therefore not much hope for the tree. But, never give up till its over. Go ahead and replant the tree in a container with dryish potting soil. Then if it survives replant into the ground when the floods are over. You might also get a product called SuperThrive. I have seen this stuff literally bring back a, what I thought, was a dead tree. Water the soil in the container with that and hope for the best. And keep it out of the rain........................

Ask a Question