is it the dirt

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
2 years ago while living in LONG ISLAND N.Y. we had a great garden - anything we grew -grew in abundance - we move here in the sandhills [ PINEBLUFF ] and the garden can only grow a few good enough - like TOMATOES - PEPPERS - EGGPLANT - BUSH BEANS - but every thing else is having a REAL HARD TIME - we do have a compost so i guess it`ll take a few yrs. - some one told me to get egg shell compost to mix in my raised beds - any suggestion`s will be a appreaciated !!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
If your soil is as the name suggests, there is probably not much need for raised beds; dig your compost straight into the soil.
Woodash and urine are your friends.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The difference between dirt and fertile soil means the difference between successful plant growth and failure. To have good plant growth the dirt must have the micro organisms (fungal/bacterial) which enable the plants to uptake nutrients. And to have the needed micro organisms the dirt must have the organic matter needed to sustain them. Once you have this your dirt has become soil, a living breathing thing. What you incorporate into your dirt is only a matter of what you have on hand. It can be just about anything as long as it was alive at some time. Manure, leaves, grass clippings............................You can put it directly into your dirt or start a compost pile, it all ends up the same, but without it all it is is dirt

Last edited:

Ask a Question