Is it okay to use wood chips as mulch?

Reaction score
I've got a couple of trees that I will be removing later this year. I'm wondering if it's a good idea to get some of the wood chips of the processed limbs and use them as a type of mulch?

Would this attract certain bugs (termites, etc.)?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Many trees actually repel bugs, such as the cedar tree. You can probably do a search of the tree you plan on cutting down, and see how it works as mulch . The chips from just about any tree should be awesome for making any kind of paths through the garden, or even through your yard, of you want a path somewhere. Another possibility, is around shrubs, like azaleas, or rose bushes, to keep the weeds from coming up around the base of the shrub.

Reaction score
Okay, thanks. I've got two large trees (one is a mulberry tree, not sure about the other) that will be cut down some time this summer. I'm hoping that the tree cutters can give me as much of the chips as I want. They should be glad to do that since it will delay the need for them to empty the wood chipper.

Ask a Question