Is it OK to have Solid North Wall on Greenhouse?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hi:

Just thinking about a future greenhouse..... since the sun doesn't shine directly from the north, would it be okay to have a solid wall along the northern side of the greenhouse? That would be an opportunity to insulate that wall more effectively and I would also like to put a roll up door along the north side. I will be getting about 11 hours of sunlight in the summer and 6 in the middle of the winter.

Thanks!
John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
The non sunny side certainly can be blocked from light There is enough light from the sunny areas, roof and other sides. Even the bottom area of the greenhouse need not have light about three feet or a bit more from the ground.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Good idea as it will hold the sun's heat and release it at night :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Good to know, I thought all the walls needed to have light exposed.

Best to paint it white to reflect the light back, stops plants getting leggy in winter :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Great thoughts! Makes me think a solid North wall might be a good place to install some type of water piping or water storage tanks into the wall itself. The sun shining on the wall heats up the water during the day and radiates that heat back into the greehouse at night.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Great thoughts! Makes me think a solid North wall might be a good place to install some type of water piping or water storage tanks into the wall itself. The sun shining on the wall heats up the water during the day and radiates that heat back into the greehouse at night.

No real need, the mass of the wall will hold the heat longer than the water will, we only use water to move the heat somewhere else really, it's not that good at keeping the heat which makes it a good transfer medium :)

Ask a Question