Is it a good idea to use this mulch?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm trying to add pinebark mulch to a grapevine that I have potted. They only sell (at least I've only seen) the ones that comes in really big chunks that take longer to break down. Would it be a bad idea to add these to my potted plant?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Bark is good stuff but a potted plant is not in native soil so I would find a better use for it. Things that rot can also be things that promote desease. I would keep the pot more sterile than most might I suppose.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I'm trying to add pinebark mulch to a grapevine that I have potted. They only sell (at least I've only seen) the ones that comes in really big chunks that take longer to break down. Would it be a bad idea to add these to my potted plant?
I think raked up leaves would be a better mulch. Bark mulches are not really that great for plants, they are nothing like wood chips. All they really do is provide an aesthetically pleasing appearance. Interesting reading on bark mulches: https://s3.wp.wsu.edu/uploads/sites/403/2015/03/bark-mulch.pdf

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Bark mulch and ramial size twigs and leaves contain the most nutrients because this is where the plant grew. Stem wood is mostly carbon and a fallen tree would have its leaves, twigs and bark decompose first, with the bulk of the stem wood turning back into carbon dioxide, which is, interestingly, consumed by plants. Very efficient system.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
I Have Know problem with most Barks as long as it is on the surface. For certain plants that I want siting on a dry mulch. Its as not going to suck the soil dry & reflects the sun off the soil well like gravel or flint to Keep roots Cool. I love leaf mulch & do make tones of the stuff each year & Compost Too. Wood Chips are great as they rot & become a great source of Nutrients for plants and Insects. Grape Vines Like to have cool roots So A mulch that reflects the sun off the soil & back on the the fruit would be the one to go for..... slate or a little Gravel ...Or maybe Bark;)In my opinion

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Ever use a reflective mulch? I hear about it sometimes but have never even seen it.
Yes Its not the first thing on most peoples minds when use sing mulch but Keeping roots cool is important & can pay you to uses methods to reflect the sun away on shallow rooted plants... like Clematis or Grapevines. Succulents & Cacti Too like there roots cool in the dessert so are more likely to pop up where roots get a little shade under stones extra. Often also you may need to worm up your plant roots So the right mulch for a plant in one garden ..... Say on a south faceing or slope could be the wrong one on a north extra extra

Last edited:

Ask a Question