Is is really a Spathiphyllum 'Sensation'?

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Hi,

I just received this plant that I ordered online.

It was sold to me as a Spathiphyllum 'Sensation', and I bought it specifically because of it. But having received it I think it looks like the more common Spathiphyllums that you can get anywhere. The company at first weren't sure if they had the 'Sensation' in stock but got back to me and told me they had managed to find just one and then I placed my order. I specifically want a 'Sensation' because their leaves grow much bigger than the other species.

The plant is in an 17cm pot (6.6 inches) and is about 75 cm tall (29.5 inches)

I couldn't find any image examples of a 'Sensation' that I think match the one I have received. On mine the leaves seem more elongated with really pointy tips, the 'ripples' on the leaves seem less pronounced. Also, the examples I've found of 'Sensation' don't seem to have as many spathes. I'm totally clueless about Spathiphyllums and I can't figure out if it's just because I have to wait and give it time to grow giant leaves, or if it's in fact because they've just given me a different species... but right now it's not that great of a sensation.

My own guess is that it's a 'Senseo Cupido' that they've sent me, a trademarked variety (from AirSoPure) that seems to have more spathes than others (sold with 6, same as the one I've received.)

I really hope there's a peace lily expert in here that can help me out!

Image of the 'Sensation' from the company's website:
Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 12.21.44.png

Images of the one I have received:

IMG_20210901_104533.jpg
IMG_20210901_104743.jpg
IMG_20210901_104604.jpg

Examples of 'Sensation' from other sellers (similar size):
spathiphyllum-sensation-hydrocultuur.jpeg
sp24sena_2.jpeg

Example of the one I suspect I've actually received (Senseo Cupido):
ccab283c-b4b1-415e-825b-224396847eca.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. You bring up an interesting topic, Lyle. It is one I think about often.

With very similar cultivars, what are the real differences? Which differences are genetic? which are environmental or cultural?
...and, which are pure marketing hype and 'careful' photography?

I do see the similarities you are noticing, but it is good to look at many photos, besides the ones used in mass-marketing.

First, what are we actually discussing. ''Sensation'' is the trade name for Spathiphyllum x 'Gorgusis No. 1' (U.S. Plant Patent 6964). It was patented in 1988 by Oglesby Plant Laboratories in Florida. "Senseo Cupido is a trade name for a cultivar from KP Holland. There are a number of cultivars in the Cupido series.

It is good to review the breeding and patent literature when available, though the descriptions and comparisons are still rife with hyperbole and selective use of facts. Even honest breeders and growers can only compare cultivars under their growing conditions.

I notice a narrow rippled wing on the petioles (leaf stems) of ''Sensation''. That is somewhat distinctive, but age and culture could affect the prominence of that feature too. Online, I see photos of small plants labeled as "Sensation". Some of those also show that rippling.

By the way, there are a number of other cultivars of Spathiphyllum with exceptionally large leaves to consider, including older unpatented varieties such as 'Mauna Loa' (or 'Linda'), 'Supreme', and 'St. Marys'. these are involved in the parentage of the newer patented varieties. Needless to say, it is an active patent rather than any improvement that drives a marketing push.

Anyway, I do think you have a case to be made. I would contact the seller and discuss the issue in a non-accusatory fashion and see how they respond. If you can't even get a response, that is unacceptable customer service right there. Let the Internet know about it... and welcome to the world of of mail-order plants...

Ask a Question