Is dyed mulch bad for plants/soil?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I hear people saying all these chemicals will harm plants and soil blah blah but then why do so many nurseries sell them? They sell them because they want to intentionally harm their customer's plants? Makes no sense. Is the dye used for ornamental purposes? For ex: red dye looks more appealing than gray/black ones? Someone who uses dyed mulch please help me here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There is a lot of difference between inert dyes used in colored mulches and oil based chemicals used in fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides. Why do nurserys sell them? For the money. Why do people buy them? Mostly because they don't know any better and because chemicals are faster acting. And because the chemical companies like Monsanto pays off the government by political contributions and by an unlimited advertising budget.

And BTW, many nursurys refuse to sell oil based chemical products, especially chemical nitrates

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I sort of made an effort to find out what is used to change color, and got nowhere, except to be told that it was harmless, probably sort of like DDT.

I only use the so called natural wood chips. They fade into the background from fresh in about a year. Also cheaper and more readily available.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If I can't find the all natural mulch I do with out, There enough harmful chemicals in the air all ready. Monsanto is the worst company for selling harmful chemicals. I live about 6 miles from a Monsanto plant and if the wind is blowing my way I can smell what ever their making and its just not a good smell.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Well great. I just bought red mulch today because the nursery didn't have any organic undyed mulch.. I spread it around my bed with newly planted bleeding hearts, endless summer hydrangea, and a Japanese cascade spice iris. Now I'm worried that the mulch will eventually worsen my soil quality and I won't be able to plant anything in the future... someone please tell me that red mulch isn't all that bad? sigh :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I sort of made an effort to find out what is used to change color, and got nowhere, except to be told that it was harmless, probably sort of like DDT.

I only use the so called natural wood chips. They fade into the background from fresh in about a year. Also cheaper and more readily available.
Are wood chips undyed?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ok well where do you generally find wood chips? I went to home depot and a local nursery near my house and they didn't have it. And would you say woodchips are better than mulch?

Some municipalities sell "untreated" wood chips cheaply for mulch, my county does. Or you might try contacting some local tree services. A couple of years ago I had a bunch of trees trimmed and some old ones taken down. The tree service I used chipped all the wood, leaving me with a small mountain of it at the back of my property.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Some municipalities sell "untreated" wood chips cheaply for mulch, my county does. Or you might try contacting some local tree services. A couple of years ago I had a bunch of trees trimmed and some old ones taken down. The tree service I used chipped all the wood, leaving me with a small mountain of it at the back of my property.
Well I forgot to say our town doesn't do anything of that sort. Do any stores sell them? Cuz I can't seem to find it anywhere

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Ok well where do you generally find wood chips? I went to home depot and a local nursery near my house and they didn't have it. And would you say woodchips are better than mulch?
Do you have a company that makes MULCH. that is where you can find your wood chips. We have one just 10 mins down the road, they deliver in huge trucks, or you can take your own truck to have them load some in to the back bed. This particular company starts making its own mulch from trees, then continues the process. Along the way there are degrees of the process you can buy /select depending on your need. Larger pieces of chiips, to finer type. There are mountains and mountains of this stuff all over their vast area. The steam rises up from the mountains as the wood decays. So, google Mulch. I would never go to home depot for this stuff.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well I forgot to say our town doesn't do anything of that sort. Do any stores sell them? Cuz I can't seem to find it anywhere

Out of curiousity l called the garden center I mostly go to (Wojos if you're in mid- or SE Michigan, three locations) and they carry undyed cedar mulch. So just call around. Or google /your location/mulch and you may find a resource such as Esther mentioned. Or craigslist. Either search, or post a want ad. I really don't think it should be hard to find, unless you're in rural Wyoming or something. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Heruga, the red mulch won't harm your soil and it will fade, as any mulch does. We don't use it because it is too expensive for us, and we prefer a more natural look.
If you can find "No-Float" mulch, which is shredded cypress, or shredded pine or cedar, use it because it is a good mulch that lasts relatively long and makes a nice background for your flowers. We get ours at either Lowe's or Home Depot, I forget which. It comes in large bags but not so large you can't carry them.
One has to have a modicum of common sense about gardening. If the dyed mulches caused plants to die, believe me, we would have heard about it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Folks get confused when it comes to mulch. Mulch is both a noun and a verb. Mulch as a verb means to cover the soil in order to reduce evaporation and maintain the moisture content of the soil, to reduce erosion and help maintain soil temperature so it doesn't get too hot or too cold. Mulch as a noun covers a lot of things. Mulch can be everything from shredded paper and plastic to rocks and gravel. Mostly though mulch is made from once living plant material and this can be from trees, from tree bark, from brush, even leaves and grass clippings. Mulch can be large, such as pine bark mulch, or it can be small such as hardwood chips. It all depends on how it was processed. Some mulches last a long time such as hardwood mulches like oak, while other softwoods such as hackberry and pine decompose much quicker. All mulches sooner or later turn into compost. Usually bagged mulches will state whether it is hardwood or softwood and usually the hardwood mulches cost more. Hardwood mulches also, after they decompose, provide more long term nutrients than do softwoods. One has to determine what his long term goal is as to what mulch to use. Is it to build up the soil over time or just to use cosmetically? If you primary concern is cosmetics then use the inexpensive pine bark or softwood mulches. If for long term, such as in a permanent garden, use the finer processed small particle hardwood mulches. Most colored mulches are just for cosmetics and normally made from pine and pine bark or other softwood.

Ask a Question