Is Dandelion an Herb?

Reaction score
This was the question that made my sons teacher feel some kind of way. My son went to school and told the teacher that dandelion was an herb and she argued him down until she learned the truth herself. What do you think? (herb or weed?)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't consider it either, just a plant that grows in my yard. Certainly aware that people use it as an herb, though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I will have to go with what the dictionary says. A herb has a medicinal, savory or aromatic quality. A dandelion has neither although it is edible, but so is spinach and I don't think anyone thinks that spinach is an herb.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
Well its used in 'Herbal' Medicine, so yes, I would call it a herb.
I would call anything a weed that is growing rampant and the owner doesn't want it. I think 'invasive' is the word many use for a 'non weed' though.

We purposely allow a certain amount of 'weeds' to grow for herbal use and for the wildlife such as daisies, nettles, great plaintain, but they get out of hand fast so then become 'weeds' that need to be 'pruned'.

Our neighbours have complained about our 'weeds' grown for medicinal use. Some people are not aware and then there are those that even when made aware don't care and would rather stick to what they know. Some people will always see weeds as a sign of an untidy neglected garden.

Reaction score
Agreed Scarlett, it used to be know as one of the 'Super Herbs' A diuretic with its own potassium.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I remember watching a documentary about England at the end of the last ice age. Apparently, global ocean levels were much lower and a lot of the land under the north sea was dry land. Divers have found evidence of villages, fields and cooking fires. The program said they found pollen of dandelion very commonly in the sediments and suggested it might have been one of the earliest farmed crops. It was an interesting program.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Dandelion does have healthful properties depending on its use. The root is commonly used in tonics, teas and even 'herbal' sodas. The leaves are edible in salads. Despite being obnoxious and taking over lots of lawns and garden beds, dandelions do have medicinal purposes. I wouldn't quite call it an herb but it's useful if you want to use it for its properties.

Reaction score
Fair to say there are medicinal herbs & culinary herbs. Some of them overlap a bit which is where perhaps, the confusion starts.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I was told that dandelion is a weed, but I've always believed it's a herb, because there are people who grow it for medicinal use. Either way, it's one of my favorite plants:)

InvasiveCreeper

Wild Garden and Native Plant Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Smart mom:
Is Dandelion an herb? This was the question that made my sons teacher feel some kind of way. My son went to school and told the teacher that dandelion was an herb and she argued him down until she learned the truth herself. What do you think? (herb or weed?)

The term "weed" is just a pejorative term for a plant we cant control or dominate. We call any plant that we find undesirable a weed. Taxonomically the word "weed" has no meaning. A dandelion is a forb. It is an herbaceous plant.

Last edited:

Ask a Question