Is 3600 lumens LED bulb good ?

Reaction score
Country
Algeria
Hi everyone, is a 3600 lumens 40 watts LED bulb good for my plants ? The distance between the lamp and the plant is about 2 meters.
Any help will be appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Lumen_EN.jpg

Where you need 3-4000 lumen minimum to replicate the sun and its part in a full cycle planting, you see that the distance plays a sad part in saying no. Now either more lights or moving the light closer changes things dramatically. Lower light levels will sort of work but nothing will meet your expecations if you plant what amounts to shade at 400 lumens. You will be dividing your number of lumens by about 6.5 at 2 meters.

The human eye is capable of detecting 1 photon. In other words it is a perfect organ. It can be hard to fathom how the bright light in a store at 200 lumen would struggle growing a plant. Enough light and heat energy to drive plant growth is really quite strong relative to our ability to see in that same light.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thank you for your reply. I'll try to bring the plants closed to the bulb
You are most welcome. Remember this pneumonic of x though when dealing with the metric versions. X is the roman numeral 10. This is the hidden 10 in LUX from the word lumen. A lux is 10 candles, 10 lumen basically. From the approximation of a square meter.

Reaction score
Country
Algeria
Thank you for the explanation, i changed the plants location i put them 1 meter far away from the light, and the bulb is just above them. What do you think ?

Reaction score
Country
Algeria
Also, for now they are still seedlings, so when they grow longer they will get closer the bulb. Will that burn the plants if they get too close ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Also, for now they are still seedlings, so when they grow longer they will get closer the bulb. Will that burn the plants if they get too close ?
LED is famous for a cool light. Still, a thermometer is part of gardening kit. I have my lights on chains so I can raise them over time. The trays have seedling mats for a warm start. Everything is on timers. I have a cheap non-contact thermometer, the kind with the laser pointer, to check.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
corncob

Latest Threads