Irrigation water ph.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone here have a degree in chemistry and/or biology? If so, I need your help.

I have a bit of an unusual situation that probably requires expertise and education beyond that of a typical home gardener. I have a custom irrigation system which utilizes wastewater from my pond's filter. The system utilizes nitrifying bacteria to convert the organic matter into nitrates as a natural fertilizer. The water quality is monitored 24/7 for things like temperature, ph, TDS (total dissolved solids) salinity, etc.

Here's my problem, I run an aerator in the tank to provide oxygen to the nitrifying bacteria so they can do their thing and also to help degas carbon dioxide and hydrogen sulfide from the biological processes. When the aerator runs, the PH skyrockets sometimes getting as high as 9.5. Very alkaline. Some further research revealed this to be caused by the liberation of CO2 when the aerator runs.

If I don't run the aerator, the oxygen levels drop and the CO2 and H2S rises, and the water starts smelling like rotten eggs from the H2S gas. If the aerator runs, the PH goes up to levels that disrupt the nitrification processes or at least that's what my research has informed me of. I've tried to counteract this with the use of vinegar (5% acetic acid) and citric acid. The PH drops to ideal levels for a few minutes, but then goes right back up 8+ unless I shut off the aerator. I just can't win it seems.

Aside from the CO2 liberation, I have some concrete stones in the pond that supplies the water and have heard that concrete and masonry products can cause high alkalinity (aside from PH) as well and am suspecting those to be part of the problem.

I'm hoping someone here has a degree in chemistry and biology and can advise me in layman's terms how to correct this problem.

Thanks.

Ask a Question