Iron Deficiency in Azaleas

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Late last summer I noticed yellowing of leaves on several young azalea bushes. I amended the soil and sprayed iron directly on the leaves for a quick green-up. Is it too early to spray the leaves now (Late February to early March) in zone 7? I certainly don't want to damage the buds. I'm in the Memphis area -- zone 7.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
There is a lot of yellowy spring growth on them now in our yard, especially because they are under a fallen deciduous canopy. They are not young either. As they require more energy in increasing shade they will darken around here. You may have been looking at post bloom growth, which is not always an immediate dark green anyway. There are different types though, and zones, and local conditions.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I think I over watered last summer. That's my biggest concern. These are Encore azaleas and they get morning sun, but during part of the summer they get some afternoon sun as the earth tilts.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
If it were mine, and I do have some encores, I would wait until after the spring bloom to do that. As you probably know they love acidic soil . Post bloom is also a good time to feed them an acidic fertilizer.

Ask a Question