Invasive grass problem, any idea?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I know it's probably a losing battle being in the country, but we've had this grass invading our lawn the last few years. I'm not sure what kind it is, but we call it the 'Cancer Grass'. I wish I'd nipped it in the bud when I first noticed it. Though I'm not sure I can solve the problem but I feel the need to knock it back before its al we end up with.

This grass is very fine, lush, short and bright green. Grows to 3". When it hits it's growing season, it's so dense and thick very little can grow through it and it kills all my other lawn grasses. It likes cooler weather and it's first to seed very early in spring and all through. Some continue to seed well after if it's still growing. When it does, the seeds are so thick that it's all you can see. They're a dingy color and it ruins the look of the lawn, especially when the seed pods die. It's so mushy and thick, even the mower does a poor job cutting it as it clogs things up when it's even slightly damp - becasue its so fine.

It's on the fragile side, does not take well to traffic. At the first sign of warm weather, it starts looking dead and disappears all summer leaving bald areas that weeds take advantage of. Then it comes back and chokes everything else out as it spreads a little more, or a lot more.

After a long hot summer, the cool weather and rain is back. And here it comes again! Grrr! I added a few pics. You can see the bright green areas,.. that's the stuff. You can see in the other photo where it has killed the lawn, leaving smaller areas of good grass still hanging on that will likely be finished off soon as it returns. Like much of it before, I had this area of the lawn healthy and beautiful (just last year) and reasonably weed free. Now, I'm discouraged, feeling a bit doomed.

Is there any way to deal with or get rid of this stuff? If it wasn't such terrible grass, I'd let it take over. But it also comes up in the flower beds, concrete seams, between deck boards, driveway, you name it. Super invasive. Any ideas?

Thanks for reading and hope everyone's having a good day!

Attachments

• IMG_4387.JPG
    IMG_4387.JPG
    529 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4388.JPG
    IMG_4388.JPG
    474.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4390.JPG
    IMG_4390.JPG
    531.7 KB · Views: 26
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If it is ryegrass this stuff is just about impossible to eradicate. Here in Texas its not a problem because of our short winters, warm spring and scalding hot summer. This grass has become resistant to Roundup and many/most of the other herbicides are something that one really doesn't want in their soil. The only way I know of for sure that works is solarization and being as your climate is excellent for this grass you would have to leave the plastic on for a long time, possibly 9-12 months for a complete kill, but, this will kill your remaining grass as well. Another good possibility is by using a pre-emergent. The only drawback to this is the window of opportunity in using it. I would talk to some knowledgeable lawn people and see what they have to say about it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It sounds much more like Annual Bluegrass to me. Like Ryegrasses it is also very hard to control. Try reseeding whatever your preferred grass is in March or April when the bluegrass starts to look poor and then use a pre-emergent in the Fall BEFORE you see it come back. It will take multiple applications and you will need to reseed periodically. Some professional sports venues have essentially stopped trying to eliminate it and just manage it with pre-emergents and reseeding.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know if it would work, but I use a mechanical rake several times a year. It tends to rip out the moss, those sort of dense grasses, and ones that spread by rhizomes, and gives the ones I prefer more of a chance. Mind I probably have completely different grasses here in England, what I call 'rye grass' looks very similar to the lower picture above, (like rye I guess) but tends to favour rough wasteland.

Reaction score
Country
United States
By the pictures it might be time to send out some soil samples get some life back into your soil, decide what type of lawn you want : get the soil to the condition for that lawn type and over seed with a quality seed

Ask a Question