Intern Gardening Project

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello Community!

I am an intern for Rincon Family Services which is a not-for-profit in Chicago "dedicated to rendering compassionate and effective programs that promote the quality of life by serving as a catalyst to advocate, educate and empower individuals and their families. Our programs and services include areas of drug rehabilitation, HIV prevention, mental health treatment, and mandated court services".

As their summer intern, I've been assigned a project to beautify our facility before our annual gala in August. I picked an event date for June 26th, but have few volunteers and no plants. Must I add that I also have no knowledge for gardening! Before I started doing loads of research, I thought I could reach out to you guys for some pointers and direction.

So, I have to plant a curb side which is 2ft width and about 20 feet long in front of our facility, need to plant so that they are pretty and beautiful by August. The dirt is somewhat in good shape especially since its been raining but I know it needs more nutrients. CHICAGO GETS COLD and my boss specifically requested plants that do not have to be replanted. (someone in the office mentioned perennials)And we are a non for profit so very very very limited funds.

I need knowledge! I need plants! I need volunteers! Please help me!

Thanks,

RFS Intern

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Good luck RFS Intern. I'm sure you'll have local gardeners coming to your rescue. Most of us have excess cuttings and gardeners love to share. I'm just a little too far away to be of any help. You do sound new to gardening and yes perennials would be the go as annuals and bi-annuals are just that. Also, for your information, evergreens keep their leaves and deciduous loose theirs. I only started gardening 4 years ago and that had to be explained to me so I hope I don't sound patronizing.:confused:
Sounds like a great cause. Hope it all goes well:)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
DeborahJane! Thanks so much for the support and insight. I will definitely look further into it. Good luck to you and your gardening.

Ask a Question