Interesting vine with strange fruit

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I was at my mother's today to gather some pine needles (finally!) and noticed a squash-like vine growing on one of the side fences with little yellow flowers and an odd melon-like orange fruit. It almost looked like a miniature gourd, but then we saw one that had opened. It's a very strange looking thing, like something out of a movie that causes problems when it opens, lol.

The flower is very small and not even an inch across. Even the leaves aren't as big as a normal squash vine, but that is what they look like. Does anyone have any idea what this is?
PB240006.JPG

PB240004.JPG

PB240017.JPG

Reaction score
I was at my mother's today to gather some pine needles (finally!) and noticed a squash-like vine growing on one of the side fences with little yellow flowers and an odd melon-like orange fruit. It almost looked like a miniature gourd, but then we saw one that had opened. It's a very strange looking thing, like something out of a movie that causes problems when it opens, lol.

The flower is very small and not even an inch across. Even the leaves aren't as big as a normal squash vine, but that is what they look like. Does anyone have any idea what this is?View attachment 313

View attachment 315
Oh yes that is the bitter gourd. A nice interesting picture you have there.. of a ripe one.. We eat this as a vegetable... it is bitter as bitter can get and it is good for those with diabetes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@Maddie, I had bitter gourd at my friend's home recently after a puja! I can't believe that is the same thing! I am going to have to look into this further.

@Claudine, The photo on the link you supplied looks like what I ate. Bitter is the right name for them, lol. The other foods on that page look very good, I will have to try making some!

Reaction score
That stuff grows as a weed all over South Florida. You can eat it, but like I said, it's considered a weed and not for proper eating.
IMO, it is not bitter gourd. Most likely it is a close relative. The fruit is rounder and smaller (no larger than thumbsize) and the leaves are slightly rounder as well.

Reaction score
There are two varieties of bitter gourd one is long and thick the other is short and round both of which are eaten. It is sliced into thin rounds and after adding salt you dry it out in the sun. This stuff is fried and used it as an accompaniment to rice in the Asian regions.
It can become a weed if it is in the wrong place though... the seeds fall and start fresh plants and could become a pain to handle.

Reaction score
I've heard that the Asians make a bitter gourd tea that is good for weight loss and regulating blood sugar. The bitter gourd has come up in conversations twice this week in my circle of friends! Odd. I live in FL and have seen this vine in many places, growing wild.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
There are two varieties of bitter gourd one is long and thick the other is short and round both of which are eaten. It is sliced into thin rounds and after adding salt you dry it out in the sun. This stuff is fried and used it as an accompaniment to rice in the Asian regions.
It can become a weed if it is in the wrong place though... the seeds fall and start fresh plants and could become a pain to handle.

Maddie, I'll have to read up on bitter gourd and find a way to confirm that's what the vine is so I can watch for it to come back in the spring. It looks so weird when the little gourds open and you see the red seeds stuck to the inside. It doesn't resemble anything edible I've ever seen, lol.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I did some investigating on the bitter gourd, it is a very interesting plant. The bitter gourd is a tropical plant meaning it is not available in colder area's, that's a shame it looks like it can help with weight loss, stomach conditions and diabetes. There are several types of bitter gourd, chinese mellon is one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I did some investigating on the bitter gourd, it is a very interesting plant. The bitter gourd is a tropical plant meaning it is not available in colder area's, that's a shame it looks like it can help with weight loss, stomach conditions and diabetes. There are several types of bitter gourd, chinese mellon is one.

Oh, Pat, just about everything is available everywhere now. Not sure where you live, but you may be able to create suitable conditions for growing the vine if you're interested. If you just wanted to try the food, look around for international markets in your area. There's usually at least one in major cities.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
ChanellG, you are right, I should look around some of the ethnic stores to see what I can find. I live in a very diverse area, Washington DC has at least one of every national I'm sure. The weather here is warm but not as warm as Florida, the gourd may not grow in this area but is probably shipped here to be sold.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
ChanellG, you are right, I should look around some of the ethnic stores to see what I can find. I live in a very diverse area, Washington DC has at least one of every national I'm sure. The weather here is warm but not as warm as Florida, the gourd may not grow in this area but is probably shipped here to be sold.

Oh I'm sure you can find all sorts of international foodstuffs there! I've never been, but I would imagine there are a plethora of little communities (i.e. China Town or little ___ ) representing the diverse population. If you try it and like it there may be a way for you to grow it.

Reaction score
Very interesting but do be careful because as @maddie says the seeds will fall all over the place and it will overrun your property in not time. I had the same problem once with passion fruit. It had beautiful flowers but it spread too quickly and was hard to get rid of.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@Shellyann36, this was a vine growing on the fence at my mother's home. I haven't seen or heard from her that it has come back this year. I know what you mean though - I had Thai basil coming up all over the place one year. I assume the wind scattered the seeds because it was coming up yards away from where I had the container with the basil.

Reaction score
@Shellyann36, this was a vine growing on the fence at my mother's home. I haven't seen or heard from her that it has come back this year. I know what you mean though - I had Thai basil coming up all over the place one year. I assume the wind scattered the seeds because it was coming up yards away from where I had the container with the basil.

Oh yes please do be careful with it. That blasted passion fruit plant spread like wild fire all around my yard and I had such a hard time getting it to go away. It would have been different if my climate had been "tropical" enough to ripen the fruit but alas it was not so. I have not tried the Thia basil as of yet but its good to know that it too will spread. Thank you for that heads up!

Ask a Question