Interesting Thing Happened Last Night

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I met a young man yesterday; he came to the door trying to sell an organic fruit and vegetable delivery subscription. He seemed a little rough around the edges, but actually seemed nice and sincere in his belief about what he was doing. I followed up on the business and it was somewhat legitimate, but it did look like a hustle for commission only job.

Instead of buying anything from him, I sent him off with some lemons, tangerines, a couple tomato plants, a couple basil plants, and a few other herbs in 4” pots. I also cut some rosemary and thyme for him to take.

He was so appreciative, I wasn’t really sure why, it really wasn’t much, but I was happy to have been able to make someone else happy. The whole thing has had somewhat of an effect on me but I haven’t exactly put my finger on what it is yet.

Anyway, later that evening there was a knock on the door again and there he was, just one more thanks and a hug before the van picked him up. I let him know if he was ever in the neighborhood again to stop by. The hug was a twist, but I was ok with it o_O

Reaction score
Country
United States
What an awesome thing to do! I hope you receive lots of blessings for it. I know what you mean about the odd feelings you had, I've had similar feelings after being approached by people like that. Gee who knows? Maybe he was an angel in disguise.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A stranger at your door that ended up in a blessing! I hope your instinct about this young man was a good one. It was nice of you to give him many gardening plants that he could use later on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is a great story and I would not have not have thought to share my garden veggies with him most likely. With all the weird things that happen in this world, we all have to remember that there are still a lot of good people out there. I would love to receive a gift of plants myself.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Good for you(y). A friend and I were discussing how pessimistic and fearful we have become as a society. People for the most part are much better, more generous and caring than what we are lead to believe. Life is what we believe it to be. Thank you for sharing and living the positive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I always feel bad after I walk down the street or something and get leary of someone just based on how they are dressed or if they look homeless. They could be perfectly sweet people that have found themselves in a bad situation. We are somehow programmed to feel certain ways about images we see and I am trying to change that about myself.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You never know someones story till you sit down and talk to them.

Doesn't take much to go from living a comfortable life to finding yourself in a desparate situation.

Reaction score
I'm glad he showed his appreciation :) I've given a lot in the past, it's always annoying when you don't get any kind of appreciation back and that is why I no longer expect anything in return when I give something. Now I assume I might not even get a thank you from the person, that makes it easier for me, there is nothing more freeing than having no expectations from people. Glad you made his day, you must have felt wonderful after that :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Trellum, I have encountered the same thing--no kind of appreciation back. However, I have found that attitude to be more prevalent in folks that I give plants, vegetables, home-made bread to and who can well afford almost anything they want. I don't know if it's a lack of manners, or a "if it's free, it's for me" outlook on life.
The clasped hand, the heart-felt thanks, and the hugs come from folks who have very little, and appreciate what you give them. Guess who gets anything I can spare?

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Way to go op! Hard to find people like you two these days! You know, if there are more nicer people in this world we live in, we'll all be happy and content. I especially love people who are appreciative, it makes you feel warm in the heart. :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I always feel bad after I walk down the street or something and get leary of someone just based on how they are dressed or if they look homeless. They could be perfectly sweet people that have found themselves in a bad situation. We are somehow programmed to feel certain ways about images we see and I am trying to change that about myself.
Lol since i've been to the UK I have gotten a number of rather animated shocked/startled looks from people who are a bit older. This usually happens when I move to the side in a tight space and let them through or smile/nod a hello or do some sort of a polite thing. I don't know if it's because I am younger... actually no i'm in my late 20's. Or because all the times I've been dressed really casual in tennis shoes, jeans and a hoodie?
I find it both comical and sad.

Ask a Question