Installing a Wind Break

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
This evening I've been looking into windbreaks to potentially protect my plants and provide additional privacy in my yard. I found an interesting document online that mentions wildlife and the benefits of windbreaks in areas where they provide protection for animals.

There was also a note in this article that there was government assistance in some areas for putting up windbreaks that also support wild life. Many people often post about keeping deer, etc., out of the yard and away from their plants. A windbreak with some plants for the animals might be a good plan for those who occasionally encounter wildlife in their yard.

One of the things I am looking for in a windbreak is protection from any chemicals the neighbors may spray in their yards. It doesn't happen often, but it's not like anyone discusses it with me beforehand.

Do any of you have wind breaks in place?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to put one up, but it's Sis's plot :rolleyes:

Keep an eye out for scaffold being taken down, the debris netting they use on that is often thrown away, it makes an ideal windbreak.

Otherwise, get weaving :D
DSCN0759.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I have not got a clue about wind breaks. Is this to provide a lee side?

if so perhaps a lattice screen?

Last edited:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I have not got a clue about wind breaks. Is this to provide a lee side?

Hope it's not to provide a dark side

Nurseries usually sell a slotted mesh by the yard, lets the wind thru but slows it right down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
That sounds something like what is used for snow fencing to stop drifts from blocking roadways. Snow fencing is usually a particularly ugly shade of orange so that it does stand out in the white stuff.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That sounds something like what is used for snow fencing to stop drifts from blocking roadways. Snow fencing is usually a particularly ugly shade of orange so that it does stand out in the white stuff.

Very much like that but in black. it's used a lot in the commercial nurseries, good for dividing sections up too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I may look into that cloth, especially if I can get it at work, but I've been thinking about lattice as I can also use it for climbing plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Wind can destroy plants just like pests do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
What's the height and width your envisioning the wind break needs to be?

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Using lattice sounds like a good idea as you would also be able to use it to grow a vine or two.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Using lattice sounds like a good idea as you would also be able to use it to grow a vine or two.

Its a good idea We have what is called curtain creepers or Veronica which grows quite densely.

Ask a Question