Inside Mini Herbs

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am currently in the process of remodeling my kitchen and when it is finished I would like to have a mini herb garden. I would like this to be in either hanging tiered baskets or in containers mounted to the wall. I have seen some cool tricks to make this possible, but I have also seen some things saying not to do mason jars or any container that is too small. The herbs that I want to do are: Basil, Rosemary, Dill, Mint, and Thyme. I'll probably have to wait to start this project till next spring but I wanted to post my aspiration so that anyone whose done this could give me some feedback.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I would love to have that hanging herbs particularly mint because that is my favorite. Although we have lots of mint in our garden, wouldn't it be nice to just pull down a twig of mint from the kitchen window? But that's asking too much because our kitchen is small. And if you would have the hanging herbs that are planted in a mesh, just be sure to have a water spray for the proper irrigation.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Corzhens Here are the mason jar mini gardens I was talking about.
herb-planter.jpg download.jpg
This is just 2 examples, but you could look it up on youtube and see many different types and ways. Maybe you still don't have enough room, but it may be worth a try, even if its just for your mint :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

How mini is mini? You don't want plants that are too small - whilst they look very cute, if you actually need to use them you'll probably need to remove a substantial portion of the growth. Also if you are planning on using them regularly then you'll definitely need bigger plants so that they have time to regrow after you have removed sprigs.

Reaction score
This is a wonderful idea for the kitchen. I have no experience with this, but I'm sure someone will chime in the thread. I've seen a few things like this on pinterest, so you might want to look into that. If you type something along the lines of "hanging garden" in pinterest, there's bound to be a ton of ideas and tutorials. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Corzhens Here are the mason jar mini gardens I was talking about.
View attachment 9724 View attachment 9725
This is just 2 examples, but you could look it up on youtube and see many different types and ways. Maybe you still don't have enough room, but it may be worth a try, even if its just for your mint :)

This is a wonderful idea, especially if hanging! I like that a lot! I bought a three tiers basket at a thrift shop a while ago thinking I would use it for something some days, and this is it: that something to do with the three tiers hanging basket that I already have waiting :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is a wonderful idea, especially if hanging! I like that a lot! I bought a three tiers basket at a thrift shop a while ago thinking I would use it for something some days, and this is it: that something to do with the three tiers hanging basket that I already have waiting :)

That is great! It's always so nice to be able to up-cycle what we already have :) I think I am leaning toward using hanging tiered baskets as well. The mason jars are definitely cute and they look good aesthetically, but I think the tiers are more practical for my space. I also think I can find a way to make them look great as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I love those mason jar mini gardens. They look beautiful:)
Unfortunately, I can't attach anything to the walls here, because I live in a rented apartment. All my herbs grow in pots on a windowsill.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@claudine Have you thought about attaching them to a board or plant and then setting it on a counter or table? or just decorating the jar and leaving it on the counter? Although I suppose if you are renting space might be limited, but it may be worth a try. Here is a picture of some I've seen.
Container-Garden-Blog-11.jpg images.jpg

Reaction score
Sometimes when I am seeing pictures of indoor herbs like this mason jars mini gardens I am always amazed and I always think if I can do it also on my own. This is great!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Those really are cute.
I do wonder if the containers are big enough to be functional though, if you plan on frequently snipping leaves off for cooking. I grow herbs in summer, all outside, but the smallest size pot I use is probably about a gallon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
@claudine Have you thought about attaching them to a board or plant and then setting it on a counter or table? or just decorating the jar and leaving it on the counter? Although I suppose if you are renting space might be limited, but it may be worth a try. Here is a picture of some I've seen.
View attachment 9753 View attachment 9754
I love the first picture, leavening a few jars on the counter sounds like a great idea, I may make something like this in my kitchen:)
Thank you for the inspiration!:)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a mini herb garden in my kitchen. I have 5-6 pots of herbs on my windowsill. I have to say it definitely brightens up the kitchen. I never thought about hanging them... I like to be able to bring the pots to the counter when I am cooking with them. I don't know if I would ever have them in hanging baskets because I feel like it would be difficult to get their leaves. Right now having them in little pots on my window works just great.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Rosemary and Thyme I know for a fact that you can start earlier if you would like, they grow well during the colder months if you don't want to wait until spring. If you are doing indoor herbs for your kitchen, keep in mind that they must be positioned in an area where they will receive adequate sunlight. You also want to find containers that are not too small, just because as was mentioned above, when you pick off what you want to use you can be damaging the plant if it is too small and you are taking most of it. Other herbs that also fare well in colder months: parsley, sage. chives, cilantro. Hope this helps somewhat! The mason jar idea is really cute :)

Ask a Question