Insects boring into tree

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have a golden raintree that is covered in sap balls. There is a little beetle type insect under each flow of sap. What is it and what method would be used to get to them under the sap? The only way I can think of is some systemic insecticide if such a thing exists, and that would take a long time to spread around. Should I even worry about it?
IMG_20190530_072746_resize_5.jpg
IMG_20190530_082858_compress1.jpg
IMG_20190530_082830_compress49.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a golden raintree that is covered in sap balls. There is a little beetle type insect under each flow of sap. What is it and what method would be used to get to them under the sap? The only way I can think of is some systemic insecticide if such a thing exists, and that would take a long time to spread around. Should I even worry about it?View attachment 54336View attachment 54337View attachment 54338
Sounds as if you have a serious problem. I think what you have are Shot Hole Borers. Google invasive shot hole borers and see if its not the same thing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The name sounds right from the perfectly round small hole.

I see no reason to think you are wrong. They eat oak too. Guess what tree is all around my house? It might explain a few quick and unexpected deaths. And guess what! They come with a fungus! Fusarium euwallacea.

I am fully pissed off. There will be a bio-war.

I contacted the county agent. Not an unknown problem here. Usually crops up in droughty conditions as we have now. The agent recommended a tree injecting arborist who will be here Monday.

Thanks @Chuck!

Last edited:

Ask a Question