Ingredients for VermiComposting ???

Reaction score
Country
India
Am preparing Vermicompost for the first time.

Just making a note of which fruit & vegetable scraps should be added to the mixture.
And also very important to know what NOT to add.

Kindly help me to make the BEST Vermicompost.
Thanks.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my experience, there are very few types of waste that cannot be added to a vermicompost. I'd say all kinds of typical fruit and veg waste are suitable, as are peels, ends, and odd bits like that. You can also add coffee grounds, teabags, various types of grains and wheat such as bread, eggshells (provided they are rinses properly) and green waste too. You can also add plenty of liquids too, such as dairy and beer. The only thing that should be avoided are meats, as these could purify and could a dangerous environment.

This being said, the persistent addition of green waste should be avoided. This will have a detrimental effect on thee effectiveness your vermicompost. For large scale green waste management, or for example your food ahas purified, it's always better to remove it from your compost let someone else take care of it. As a side note, always take into account what happens to the waste you put out for collection. For reference, only get rid of surplus green waste if a company meets this criteria:
http://www.rabbitgroup.co.uk/commercial_waste_collection_from_rabbit.htm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I really don't know about ingredients for composting. But here is what we do. We have a planter box that is dedicated for composting. There are fat earthworms there who feast on scraps of vegetables and fruits like leaves and rinds. But sometimes we also toss in some excess cooked food like meat or fish although we make sure that the roaming cats wouldn't hear of it. That's it - the leftover from vegetables and fruits will make the worms happy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You can use any non-animal or non-fat kitchen scraps, just don't add too much material at once, especially if you are using the special worm bins as opposed to just composting outdoors with earthworms "naturally." (I drill holes in blue storage bins and the worms enter on their own.) You can probably add a little paper here and there if you have a lot of kitchen scraps.

Ask a Question