Informational Chart for Various Plants

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm preparing to turn our front yard (15 x 20) into a decorative garden bed. I'm very new to this sort of thing and I've been reading articles and watching videos to try to figure out what we want to plant.

I'm wondering if anyone has found charts they like that deal with which plants work well in their specific area, maybe sun requirements, etc. Basically, I want to find plants that are low maintenance, at least until I get some experience.

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are so many options. I would start by posting pictures of plants you like the looks of, and then soliciting feedback about suitability. I could list almost endless possibilities, but if you found them unattractive it would be a waste.

After planting, I would consider a low-maintenance bed to be one that needed only an annual compost, bark and/or woodchip mulching in Spring, supplemental irrigation when dry, occasional inevitable tidying and weeding, and then in Fall, the whole bed would be fully groomed and remulched for the season's end. Is this what you consider to be low-maintenance?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It may be worth your while visiting local garden centres, checking out plant labels and speaking to staff there for guidance.
We have two local garden centers, one would sell you anything if they see the colour of your money, the other has a three acre garden they have built next door where there is nearly always a gardener ready to discuss what he does and talk about the plants. I would say rather than garden centers, visit gardens.
I don't know if they do it States side, but there are quite often open garden weekends around here where people open their gardens to visitors for a small contribution to charity. Firstly it lets you see what does well, secondly the owners love talking to interested people about their gardens. If they don't do it how about joining your local gardening society and suggesting it :)

Ask a Question