Infant mango tree help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So this mango tree is about 4 weeks old. 4-3 days ago it grew two new leaves but only one of them are growing, now there is just s giant stub where the leaf show have grown. I know leaves being different sizes is normal but this one is too small. Is Iate growth of leaves normal? The first four leaves of the tree grew all at once.I keep it inside near a window. Yesterday I put it outside all day and night in the harsh California sun thinking it could handle it, was the okay?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Here is a picture

Attachments

• IMG_20160727_124054.jpg
    IMG_20160727_124054.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 325
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
It looks normal to me and not just normal but healthy. Maybe you are just too excited. Come on, relax. Give your mango time to grow on its own. Just take note that young leaves of the mango seedling is tender and they can be seared by the hot sun. What we do with our mango seedlings is to place it in a shaded area where the sun can take a peek. Right now we have a seedling that is 6 months old and wanting a place to be planted. When it was young, we just left it under the tree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Awww, your plant is so cute. It looks good, I probably wouldn't have put it outside for that extensive amount of time. When plants are young and used to being indoors, you have to gradually introduce them to new conditions, and the sun exposure might have been a bit much....next time perhaps a bit more shade.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It looks normal to me and not just normal but healthy. Maybe you are just too excited. Come on, relax. Give your mango time to grow on its own. Just take note that young leaves of the mango seedling is tender and they can be seared by the hot sun. What we do with our mango seedlings is to place it in a shaded area where the sun can take a peek. Right now we have a seedling that is 6 months old and wanting a place to be planted. When it was young, we just left it under the tree.
Thank you but what happens if growth stops? It was growing so well until about a week ago when the 5th leaf came in. The first four leaves grow at the same time, shortly after them came the fifth leaf and it was growing fine but the 6th leaf hasn't growth. There's just this little stub and it doesn't look like a sprouting leaf.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Thank you but what happens if growth stops? It was growing so well until about a week ago when the 5th leaf came in. The first four leaves grow at the same time, shortly after them came the fifth leaf and it was growing fine but the 6th leaf hasn't growth. There's just this little stub and it doesn't look like a sprouting leaf.

I'm sorry if I cannot directly answer your question about that stub of the 6th leaf. But I think it is the last for that branch and will wait for the 5 leaves to get matured before a new set of leaves would sprout. And there is a probability that a branch will appear. We have a mango seedling in a plastic pot right now and it is less than 2 feet in height but a branch is budding already. It can also be the case. Just wait for the leaves to mature. Not to worry for now.

Ask a Question