Indoor vegetable garden

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all!

I have very little outdoor space and am looking to start a small indoor vegetable garden. The vegetables I would like to grow are jalapenos, cucumbers, garlic, and okra. I'm looking for advice on the type of lighting to use, and any tips on a good setup. Also any general tips because I have never successfully grown anything before. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Any veggie grown indoors needs as much sunlight as possible. Okra can get pretty tall, and cucumbers MUST have a trellis and plenty of climbing space.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Any veggie grown indoors needs as much sunlight as possible. Okra can get pretty tall, and cucumbers MUST have a trellis and plenty of climbing space.
I'm checking out some indoor LED grow lights to use. I have read a little about those online and the consensus seems to be that they are the best type of light when taking cost and performance into consideration. I think space wise I will be able to set up an appropriate growing area for okra, jalapenos, and garlic, but maybe not cucumbers at this time. Thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Perhaps you can find a type of okra type that is not so large that will save you a little space. (y) Just a thought. Good luck! ;)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all!

I have very little outdoor space and am looking to start a small indoor vegetable garden. The vegetables I would like to grow are jalapenos, cucumbers, garlic, and okra. I'm looking for advice on the type of lighting to use, and any tips on a good setup. Also any general tips because I have never successfully grown anything before. Thanks!
Hey icedtea, i just started a few things inside for my first time (tom thumb tomatoes, basil, lettuce and soybeans). Have you gotten any possitive results yet?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
I do Jambalaya okra in the winter on my desk. it gets to about 3-3 1/2 feet tall

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I am using containers indoors more and more to extend the season. I love containers for lettuce- it stays much cleaner. 15792818908108801211295890370285.jpg

They're in 1 gallon pots, I think it will be big enough for them and the baby bok choi, maybe the garlic too.

Much bigger pots are needed for plants that actually fruit. My peppers did great in 3.2 gallon pots and are still alive in the greenhouse, planted almost exactly a year ago

Ask a Question