Indoor variety

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Beginner here!

I've added the following to a tray: Chives, Mint, Basel, Parsley, Dill, Thyme

Currently day 4 since sowing. The Parsley has germinated first which I did not expect, do I keep this going until the rest germinate?

Is this normal?
IMG_20200229_084943.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Maythy. :) Ideally they should be removed from heat as soon as they appear as they may grow leggy (too tall). There's also the possibility the others may have already germinated even though they haven't appeared yet. Using separate pots or trays for each different herb would have made it easier for you. I'd risk leaving them but remove the tray if they begin to look leggy and the others will appear when ready.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If I may suggest, be careful not to over water those tiny little roots. The #1 problem people make with starting seeds is not to allow the soil to dry well between waterings. Those roots need oxygen and if you allow the soil to dry between waterings, the roots will grow in search of water. This is a very important key. I wait about 7 to 12 days in between waterings.

Ask a Question