Indoor Tomato Problem

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Hey hello.

I'm new to gardening.

What do you think the problem of my tomatoes (in attached). I try to grow them indoors under artificial light.

Regards,
Cem

Attachments

• IMG_0192.jpg
    IMG_0192.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_0191.jpg
    IMG_0191.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_0190.jpg
    IMG_0190.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_0194.jpg
    IMG_0194.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_0195.jpg
    IMG_0195.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 256
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Magnesium deficiency will leave the green veins too. Magnesium Sulfate (epsom salts) will help that, but its better to to use a well rounded liquid blend of minor and micro nutrients. So what kind of soil did you start them in?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@DirtMechanic is correct about magnesium deficiency. Magnesium deficiency usually appears in acidic soils which is why, I would guess, he asked about what you have the plants planted in. And epsom salts will correct a magnesium problem. However, magnesium deficiency usually starts with the oldest leaves and works upward which doesn't appear to me to be the case here. If it were me I would cover all the bases by treating the plants for all three dificiencies, iron, nitrogen and magnesium. Chelated iron, a fast acting nitrogen source such as bloodmeal and the epsom salts.. And as long as the plants are in containers every time you water fertilize with an organic liquid fertilizer such as HastaGro if you can get it in Turkey. Try to stay away from synthetic fertilizers. If you have to just get some old horse, cow or chicken manure and soak it in water and use that for fertilizer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Welcome to the forum @hcem . The above posters really know their stuff. I got advice a few years ago from @Chuck regarding a problem I had with my tomatoes and his advice saved them. :)

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Hey hello thanks all of you for the quick replies! I really appreciate the help.

I planted them in standard indoor flower growing soil ordered online. And yes actually it all started with getting bottom leaves yellow first. Some of the bottom leaves just died and fell down already.

I will try to find something similar to HastaGro as soon as possible.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey hello thanks all of you for the quick replies! I really appreciate the help.

I planted them in standard indoor flower growing soil ordered online. And yes actually it all started with getting bottom leaves yellow first. Some of the bottom leaves just died and fell down already.

I will try to find something similar to HastaGro as soon as possible.
Did the leaves that died and fell off have dark green veins before turning completely yellow? If so then @DirtMechanic is probably correct in the diagnosis of a magnesium deficiency. The reason I say this is because flower soil is acidic, to much so for tomato seedlings. I would repot everything into a more neutral growing medium or this problem will persist. I would still treat for iron and nitrogen deficiencies though as it will help in rapid growth and the off chance it is a iron and nitrogen deficiency.

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Hi Chuck, Yes I think you're right about had dark green veins. I attached a photo from some time ago.

If the acidity is the problem, is there an easy way to make my medium less acidic? Would it be ok if I just take normal soil from the bushes around my house, and mix it with soil I have to even it out a bit?

I see that I can't buy HastaGro from Turkey. Is it sufficient if I use an organic worm fertilizer: http://www.hepsiburada.com/vermisol...nsantre-solucan-gubresi-1-lt-p-HRVERMISOLVL10

Thanks so much for the useful information!

Attachments

• IMG_0144.JPG
    IMG_0144.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 254
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi Chuck, Yes I think you're right about had dark green veins. I attached a photo from some time ago.

If the acidity is the problem, is there an easy way to make my medium less acidic? Would it be ok if I just take normal soil from the bushes around my house, and mix it with soil I have to even it out a bit?

I see that I can't buy HastaGro from Turkey. Is it sufficient if I use an organic worm fertilizer: http://www.hepsiburada.com/vermisol...nsantre-solucan-gubresi-1-lt-p-HRVERMISOLVL10

Thanks so much for the useful information!
Yes, that picture definitely shows a mineral deficiency. You can make the soil less acidic by adding hydrated lime to it but in all reality the problem is just with the soil you purchased as it has a lot of things added to it. It would be fine to add a lot of your natural soil to your plants when you move to a larger container.

Worm castings are a terrific soil amendment, it helps to average out the Ph in the soil, and has many nutrient values but it is not a fertilizer per se, as it has only about 2-1-1 NPK values. You will either need a LOT of wormcastings or you must use a balanced fertilizer to have a good crop of tomatoes if growing tomatoes in containers.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
If you need to buy soil, NEVER buy soil from a big box store, or already packaged in bags, and only buy from a nursery that has a good reputation. Ask them for customer references. If they don't want to give them, leave. Too many stores and nurseries are selling cheap "soil" with all kinds of garbage in it, much of it lacking decent nutrients.

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Hello Dylan,

I bought a spray fertilizer (absorbed from leaves) for Mg and Fe deficiency.

I sprayed it on the leaves for a couple of days and it actually saved them all.

But it was a Turkish brand so not sure if there is something similar in US.

Ask a Question