Indoor smoking?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Has anyone found that indoor smoke can cause detriment to their plants? I don't but my roommate is a smoker and due to the weather does it on the balcony where my plants are, it is a fairly open area but there are apartments to the above and both sides to us so the smoke can especially when its not windy get trapped in a bit, will my plants be fine?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
your answer will happen when you hold a white cloth under a leaf and spray the leaf with water. see what color the drips are. do this after a period of no rain. If the drips are brown, then the residue from the smoke is laying on the leaves. My first husband was a smoker, he smoked inside. I recall cleaning the glass of the pictures in our living room and the brown urine color would run down the glass from the residue of his smoking.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
"Has anyone found that indoor smoke can cause detriment to their plants?"

Smoke, certainly tobacco smoke, causes harm to everything and everybody. Yet 20% of the population in Canada smoke. You rationalize it.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
It depends on the concentration of the smoke in the air. Unless if the person is a chain smoker, I posit that the problem should be minimal. Its true cigarette smoke contains harmful elements like tar that would coat the leaves impeding gaseous exchange but it would take larger volumes over time to have a visible impact.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My plants are my second children. I don't allow smoking around any of my babies. It causes harm to all things living.

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic Of
Of course smoking is bad for plants but not only for plants it's bad for animals and humans too, specially for birds, my dad is a smoker and we once had a bird that was in the place where he smokes and the vet said the bird had died because of it. We had some plants in that place too and they used to get a brownish color and when we switched their place they immediately got their natural color back. So yeah smoking is a terrible thing to do for the person that's doing it and for the people/plants/animals around them.

Ask a Question