Indoor plants that help filter the air?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am wanting to get a couple house plants! I want some that can be decorative and that can help keep the air in our home clean! Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I bet almost any indoor plant would contribute towards cleaning the air in a room. A good plant to start with is spider plant which can be grown vegetatively and best grows in drier soil. Apart from filtering carbon dioxide, it also removes carbon monoxide and benzene derivatives of paint. Aloe vera is also good grown next to the window and fitters most toxic products in the house including benzene and formaldehyde.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
My best bet for indoor plants in filtering the air are any plant that has big leaves. Based on the biology class in school, plants give us oxygen which come from the stomata which are the pores of the plants located in the leaves. So the bigger the leaves, the more filtering of the air it can do. Our welcome plant has big leaves that are green and can last inside the living room for weeks. I just don't know if you have that there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Peace lily is one of those plants that is pretty, and helps purify the indoor air. Spider plant and snake plant are also good. I am eying the pink peace lily, and trying to figure where I would put this plant in the house since the pup is still very active.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Heart leaf philodendron and ferns are great at improving the air quality:) They're also really pretty. I have both of them in my apartment, so I can post some photos of them if you want.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have nothing to add besides what has already been posted. In general it sounds like any broad leaf plant would be good. I just think that there are many possibilities that might work for your plant. Have fun looking around and I think you will find the plant that best fits your need. I am sure you can find the plant that is right for you.

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic Of
Any plants with big leaves will do, but what's most important about these plants is that they need some quality air too so be sure to have them with some nice air once in a while too, you shouldn't have them in an enclosed space and hope for them to filter this air because you also need this air. So yeah apart from what everyone has already said about having plants with big leaves be sure to have fresh air from outside to help your plants do their "job" and to help you too.

Ask a Question