Indoor Pinapple Tree

Reaction score
A couple months ago I started a pinapple tree from the top of a pinapple (I got the idea from this forum when my wife got on it a few times back in the spring). While the weather was above 60 or so, I kept it outside, but as the temp dropped, I brought it inside (I live in northern Ohio). It had seemed to be doing well, but I'm wondering if it's not getting enough light now, as the tips of pretty well all the leaves have gone brown. It's currently down in the basement (the 3 cats have the run of the upstairs and they have a taste for leaves) where it gets some natural light in the afternoon, and I also have a 100 watt bulb on a timer to be on about 9 or 10 hours a day.

Any thoughts about what I might do different? Maybe since the leaves aren't soft the cats might leave it alone, but even if they do, I'm afraid the baby won't...

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have also cut the top off a pineapple and started a plant. My plant sat out door all summer without very much growth but we had a cool summer this year which I think had a lot to do with the plant not growing much. Some of my leaf tips have turned brown also and I cut them off. I have found a website that has lots of good information on the care and grooming of pineapple plants in the home. It seems you are giving the plant enough light how warm are you keeping the plant, that may be a thing to look into.

More information at this site and good luck.http://www.rickswoodshopcreations.com/pineapple/pineapple.htm

Ask a Question