Indoor lighting made simple...or complicated

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Effective indoor lighting for growing does not have to be complicated or expensive. I live in Michigan so if I want to grow all year round, I have had to come up with solutions. I've never bought any special grow light equipment. Everything I use came from the local hardware store. I have 3 set ups to show...each a little more complicated than the previous but all simple and cheap. Well, the third one wasn't quite cheap, but none of it required special "grow lighting".

First, the simple CFL set up. Pretty self explanatory. Grab a couple shop lamps at $5-$10 a piece and a 2 pack of 1600 lumen, 23 watt bulbs for $10. Place the lights above your plant as close as you can without burning them. A good way to check this distance is to place your hand over your plants. If after 30sec you only feel warmth on the back of your hand, you're good to go.

20151029_164532.jpg

Second, fluorescent lamps over a book case, on a shelf, fireplace, any flat open surface. For six 6 inch pots, all you need is a 4 foot fluorescent shop light that holds T-12 bulbs. These run around $12 at Lowes with adjustable chains for height. Next, a two pack of T-12, 32-Watt 6,500K Daylight Fluorescent 4 foot tube for $11. Hang your light over wherever your plants are about an inch from the tallest plant. Fluorescent lights put out little to no heat so you don't have to worry about burning. If you have to, elevate any shorter plants so that the tops are all at the same level. If you're feeling frisky, you can put some aluminum foil under and behind your plants to reflect more light back at them. The cheap stuff from the grocery store works great.

20151029_164503.jpg

Last, a fully enclosed, ventilated shop rack. I was going through some cabin fever last winter will all the crazy snow we had here in Michigan so I built this thing. This thing was built into a 5 tier adjustable shop rack. With that I made 2 levels, each level with two 4 foot light set ups. These are identical to the lights above, just more of them. Three of the four sides are removable panels covered on the inside with a highly reflective Mylar film. The fourth panel is not removable. On that panel I mounted 4 computer fans for ventilation, one for each light fixture. I put the Mylar film on the fan panel as well as the top and bottom of all surfaces so when it's closed its just one giant mirror. I bought a controller for the fans to adjust their speed and hooked everything in to timers.
IMG_20150118_202254.jpg

IMG_20150118_202342.jpg

IMG_20150118_202352.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That's so wonderful that you have things growing by using indoor lighting. Looks like you're ready for anything now with the set up.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like your methods of keeping your plants growing. I have used the fluorescent lighting under a shelf to give my plants more light during the winter or in a dark house.

Reaction score
Wow its amazing! Very impressive and thanks for sharing this wonderful ideas for indoor lightning and I like the idea of the first picture and I think I will give this a try at home. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Shop lights work just as well as grow light and are a lot cheaper,I've been using them for years and my plants do very well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Even in the summer time I find it a good idea to have a little emergency room for your potted plants. I had a ficus this last summer that was doing poorly for whatever reason outside. I brought it in and placed it under the first picture and within a week it had perked back up and a little later I was able to stick it back outside where it did great the rest of the summer. I just can't see investing in expensive grow lights when there is cheaper alternatives. Not to mention the energy costs running those specialized grow lights. I'd rather spend that money on new plants!! :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
This thread made me realize why our plant in the terrace is healthier than the others of the same specie. We have several Welcome Plants inside the house. They serve as our interior decoration. There's one in the living room and 2 in the terrace. We have a night light in the terrace as our security against intruders. So maybe the plants liked the light that's why they are healthier than the one in the living room.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You know, I wouldn't be surprised Corzhens. Are their growing conditions otherwise identical?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Very cool post! Ever considered using LED indoor grow lights? The energy efficiency of these bulbs is great, but the up front cost tends to be higher.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Very cool post! Ever considered using LED indoor grow lights? The energy efficiency of these bulbs is great, but the up front cost tends to be higher.
I have thought about it. First thing, I need to replace my regular house lights with LED's lol. I keep thinking the cost will come down a little and then I'll spring for the purchase. I'm sure I will eventually switch to LED's. How much heat do they put out compared to regular florescent lights? I can't see myself ever using any type of HID lights because of the type of plants I grow under lights. Mainly Gardenias and Fuchsias and they are not fond of heat when growing indoors. I've been to friends houses who had grow rooms with HID setups and it was really hot in them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This is a great thread, thanks for leaving this behind, java.

I'd love to see if this has changed since last year. Looking forward to setting up some LED/tinfoil stuff up myself soon.

Ask a Question