Indoor lettuce

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been trying to grow lettuce indoors all year and have had no luck. I have tried from both seed and from the ends. The seeds ended up very long and stringy, even though I had them right next to a window. When I thinned them out, they all died.
When I try from the ends of other heads, I can usually get them to start in water. I will wait until there are decent little leaves growing and then plant in a container. I bury the old part and leave the new growth above the soil. It will not grow once it goes in the dirt, however. They will just rot and die.
Is there something I am doing wrong? I keep them on my back porch which has the best sunlight in the house, with two walls being mostly windows.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
lettuce is a cool weather crop and grows best when the daytime temperatures are lower than 60F and the days are shorter in the spring and fall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Where are you located, or what is your USDA zone? It's much easier to give advice when we know someone's climate. :)

"Long and stringy" sounds like not enough light to me, but I'm not a lettuce expert.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's really the first thought I had too. Lettuce is kinda funny when it comes to weather and temperature. It needs the right amount sunlight and water and everything else to grow and come out tasty - like a Goldilocks veggie. growing them indoors may just turn out to be a fantastic idea, but you still have to get the conditions right for these picky crops.

Ask a Question