Indian Corn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?HMGPN 22 May 2015 Planting Indian Corn
About 80 seeds of various Indian Corn was planted in an area of 8 feet by 12 feet. The seeds were allowed to sprout in water for about three days to insure germination. Seeds were planted about two inches deep and six inches apart and under a raised board to keep moisture present and to keep birds at bay. The cobs will be allowed to dry on the plants when mature. The kernels will be removed and made into nixtamalized product and used as cereal and some made into tortillas.
URL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hope you post photos when it's over "knee high by the fourth of July"!
Will you grind it yourself?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Hope you post photos when it's over "knee high by the fourth of July"!
Will you grind it yourself?

I have a corn sheller.
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?FIVAN 23 October 2014 Hand Crank Corn Sheller.
Hand Crank Corn Sheller was received today and used to shell the last of my Indian corn about ten pounds. It took some internet searching to find a reasonably priced unit. Cost was about $40.00 and shipping and handling was about $36.00. The unit was easy to assemble, but the clamping system was poorly designed. I managed to haywire a suitable system together and clamp to a wash tub to put into operation. Later I will make a wooden box for permanent mounting. The removed kernels bounce a bit so it is best to operate in an easy to sweep area. Operation was simple and the device worked quickly and perfectly. It is ideal for home use. Pictures depict operation

I grind the nixtamalized corn in the blender and make the proper texture for tortillas by adding flour.
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?YZYIN 3 November 2014 Grinding Nixtamal to Masa
Utilizing raw corn, making flour or dough for tortillas is very difficult if doing the process when the corn is wet, which is the preferred method
The method presented here is a hybrid system, which is easy to implement. The corn is made into nixtamal in the typical manner.The nixtamal is then blended in a typical home blender with water. Only enough water is added to make a smooth slurry. The slurry is placed in a mixing bowl and enough corn flour commercial (Masa Harina)(Maseca) is added, mixed and kneaded to make a texture perfect for tortillas.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wow, impressive. I really like your photo essays; they make the entire process easy to follow.
I imagine those are really tasty tortillas and nothing like store-bought.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Wow, impressive. I really like your photo essays; they make the entire process easy to follow.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?OTWWN 28 January 2015 Tortillas
A batch of tortillas was made using garden nixtamalized corn and some commercial masa flour. The corn was made into a smooth texture in the blender with water then mixed with masa flour to get the right texture for forming tortillas. A tablespoon of baking powder was added to get some leavening. The formed tortillas were cooked in the oven at 400F for six minutes in batches of eight on cookie sheets. Alternately they can be cooked in a cast iron pan on top of the stove. The press has parchment paper to prevent sticking on one side of the tortilla and the top side is removed by running a knife edge under the pressed tortilla for ease of handling.The method of mixing means one does not have to grind the wet nixtamalized corn, which is difficult if not impossible at home.

Ask a Question